Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bros.
I have been traveling to PA to fish some of my favorite smallmouth waters when I'm not largemouth fishing. After paying over $60.00 this year on my non-resident permit I thought to myself "self, I know there are some great smallmouth rivers and creeks in the great NE Buckeye State so why dont you ask someone where and when they go for smallies." I have done some research but, I want to hear from guys ( or girls ) who are out there doin it. This weather is great. I was actually plowing snow with the front bumper of my 4x4 on the way home from my show in Geneva last night. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I usually fish the rocky for smallies. Form the end of April to the end of May you get some big Erie Smallies in the river. I'm sure any river that flows into Erie gets some big ones in it around that time. I know I cant wait. As soon as the weather warms back up I'll be down there looking for bass. It will probably be a good two or three weeks till they really start coming in.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just started last year for smallies and the Cuyahoga River is a blast. They have like a unlimited supply of smallies in there!

I have yet to catch a big one but my buddy pulled a 18"+ on his first trip out with me there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A good Smallie stream that is overlooked is the Mahoning River- the stretch from below the Milton Dam to Newton Falls has some lunkers- as well as walleye, perch, channel cats, etc. A nice pretty stream, and lightly fished I think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just started last year for smallies and the Cuyahoga River is a blast. They have like a unlimited supply of smallies in there!

I have yet to catch a big one but my buddy pulled a 18"+ on his first trip out with me there.
legendaryyaj, I play a show every fall in Cuyahoga Falls at an outdoor amphi-theatre in town. If you know where thats at, where do you fish in relation with that. Sorry to be so difficult man however, thankyou for the info. Butch

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greydog, Do you fish from shore or boat? I live in Champion so I'm not far from the Mahoning. I have heard that the river is a real sleeper for fish. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
legendaryyaj, I play a show every fall in Cuyahoga Falls at an outdoor amphi-theatre in town. If you know where thats at, where do you fish in relation with that. Sorry to be so difficult man however, thankyou for the info. Butch
Do you mean the Rockn on the River area? If you look behind you theres a walkway and a river behind there. You can fish down there. If you go upstream a little you'll see a little waterfall area. You can fish there as well. Theres other locations on the river to fish. You'll just need to be creative about getting around that area where the amphitheater is.

RSX,

Is it a Type S? You got a fellow Honda guy here too.

To both of you, you can fish Cascade if you know where thats at. Thats where I fish.

·
Fishgeek
10 Posts
Went out on the Grand just befor all this snow and got a 5.5, 4.5, and a 4 lb smally while pitching twister/minnow. It's not to early but it gets better in late April into May

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out on the Grand just befor all this snow and got a 5.5, 4.5, and a 4 lb smally while pitching twister/minnow. It's not to early but it gets better in late April into May
Fishgeek, I'm not far from the Grand and I believe I have fished it for steelies several years ago. Where do you fish on the Grand and are the Smallies far up the river yet. I live off of Rt. 45 so I can get to a part of it in a hurry however I wonder if the have cruised up that far. This river bassin is kinda new to me especially the rivers off of Eire. Do you fish from shore or boat?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You hit the nail on the head. Its a pretty cool show. I play drums for the Earthquakers. Last year some of the people at the show were talkin to me about fishin the river. I did look at it from behind the stage. Is there a website that has a map of the river that you know of or were can I get more info on the river? The info you have given me has been a great help so thanks bud.

·
ol' pal Steve
1,321 Posts
I have caught smallies from the gorge all the way up to the national park. They are plentiful when the water is warmer. Most are small, but the occasional 14 to 18" is not unusual.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Its a pretty cool show. I play drums for the Earthquakers. Last year some of the people at the show were talkin to me about fishin the river. I did look at it from behind the stage. Is there a website that has a map of the river that you know of or were can I get more info on the river? The info you have given me has been a great help so thanks bud.
No prob. I dont know where to obtain more info on the river. You can try the ODNR site. Ive just started fishing it so Im still pretty new to it too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RSX,

Is it a Type S? You got a fellow Honda guy here too.

To both of you, you can fish Cascade if you know where thats at. Thats where I fish.
Yes it is actually. People look at me strange when I show up to a park and pull fishing poles out of my car... I guess its just not usual with the younger people these days. Anyways, thanks for the info, I'll have to check out that area for fishing since I'm right around the corner. Soon ill be moving to timber top. Is there any good places in the valley to fish??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes it is actually. People look at me strange when I show up to a park and pull fishing poles out of my car... I guess its just not usual with the younger people these days. Anyways, thanks for the info, I'll have to check out that area for fishing since I'm right around the corner. Soon ill be moving to timber top. Is there any good places in the valley to fish??
You aint the only one. I always have poles in my car during the summer.

The Valley has a lot of little ponds and lake you can fish for largemouth and such but not smallmouth to my knowledge. I usually go fishing down there. I like fishing for chubs when the bite gets tough.

You can also try fishing at Waterworks in the Falls.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Fishgeek, I'm not far from the Grand and I believe I have fished it for steelies several years ago. Where do you fish on the Grand and are the Smallies far up the river yet. I live off of Rt. 45 so I can get to a part of it in a hurry however I wonder if the have cruised up that far. This river bassin is kinda new to me especially the rivers off of Eire. Do you fish from shore or boat?
the Grand and the Chagrin are very productive, For the Grand Right by harpersfield covered bridge is a great for the chagrin just about any entry point will do just dont be afraid to get wet! move around and find the fish..I think its kind of like steelhead you have to be willing to move...This isnt always the case but i've had the best luck moving up and down the rivers..
Hope this helps out alittle

Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the Grand and the Chagrin are very productive, For the Grand Right by harpersfield covered bridge is a great for the chagrin just about any entry point will do just dont be afraid to get wet! move around and find the fish..I think its kind of like steelhead you have to be willing to move...This isnt always the case but i've had the best luck moving up and down the rivers..
Hope this helps out alittle

Good luck
Thanks Riverrunner. Maybe I'll see ya down there one day. Good Fishin.
Butch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts