Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know any streams in northeast ohio that wold have dace and darter? Setting up an aquarium and would like to find some. I am here in Canton and was netting in Nimishillen Creek and managed to pull up a few Johnny Darters (I think.) Id prefer darters or dace with coloring. Let me know what you have seen or trapped recently and where please. Any nice little fish besides chubs and minnows would work really.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I'd be real careful proceeding with this. If I'm not badly mistaken, some(if not all) of those are protected species and not to be caught/taken from their natural habitats. I know fresh water mussels and salamanders are currently on the list-plus some of the darters. I also know the fines are severe. Better check with the ODNR in Portage Lakes first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Im looking for rainbow darters or greenside in particular. I looked it up and they are not on the endangered species list. The darters we found were either johnny darters, or another that I forget the name. according to odnr's site, it was the most common in the state.

·
borderline newb
220 Posts
I think you can just hit any stream and find them. I have done that on the rocky river east branch at Hinckley lake. Plenty of easy access. Darters do very well in an aquarium.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I netted a rainbow darter a few weeks ago and it is doing quite well in my aquarium. He will eat mosquito larvae, daphnia, and very small earthworms. If it moves, he will eat it, which is the problem as I can't seem to convert him to any non-live food source. If I can ever convert him, then I might consider catching more darters.

Yesterday, I say him giving a snail pure hell. It was way too big for him, but I imagine it was just too tempting for him to pass up. He had his head stuck in the shell and was an inch or two off the bottom shaking the shell back and forth. He never got the snail out of the shell, but he tried.

He is also very alert and always seems to be watching me through the glass.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,109 Posts
Get some frozen bloodworms or mosquito larvae at the pet store - darters will eat them.
Might take them a day or two but that's all mine eat now.
It's perfectly legal to net darters and other "baitfish", just don't do it in the CVNRA, that's a big "no-no".
Should be able to find them in any clear stream in your area. Might want to check Meander Creek above the reservoir, heard good things about it.

·
Freshwater Ecologist
47 Posts
That is where I used to catch tons of dace minnows in traps, used to get a lot of dead snakes too that went in after them, got stuck and drowned. Used old bread for bait, after a day, the wire traps were full . I used to keep Arowanas in a 40 gallon tank, and had a 2 footer that I used the minnows to feed him with . He would tear them up, also had a pet gar in there after he died.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts