close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for Jerky Recipes

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by cheezemm2, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I'm curious to know if you guys have any homemade recipes for jerky...I always see things like jerky cure/seasoning but is there anyway to get around this and make your own jerky with like sea salt or kosher? I'm still a bit of a newbie to the jerky world and would like to know if it's possible to spice and preserve it safely with a homemade recipe! If you have any cajun/cracked pepper recipes/hickory that would be ideal! Thanks in advance!

-Jim

2. Soy sauce, liquid smoke, fresh ground pepper, brown sugar. Marinate in this mixture then dehydrate. .

3. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

Cheeze, This one is so simple it's pitifull. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a box of American Harvest jerky spice.It's in the isle with the dehydrators. Also buy a jerky shooter. I found mine next to the box of spices. Mix 1 packet of season and 1 packet of cure per pound of GROUND meat. I have used venison and beef and both turn out awsome! Mix all ingredients in bowl and load up the shooter. Shoot strips onto dehydrator trays and dehydrate. Time varies but usually 4 hrs will do it. I get compliments on my jerky all the time. Guys always ask me where I bought it! :D The texture is suprisingly chewy being made from ground. Let me know if you try it! :)

4. This came from the internet. It was called Cliffs fantastic Jerky:
    For best results use London Broil, or Beef Sirloin Tip Steak! I have also used Chuck Roast and Steak!

Cut meat into strips of no more that 1/4" thick.
    Mix the following ingredients:
    2/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup of Soy Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoons each of Garlic and Onion POWDER (NO SALT)
    1 Tablespoon of Liquid Smoke (OPTIONAL) I used it and thought it tasted better with it than with out!

This amount of sauce is sufficient for three pounds of meat or about 20 to 25 strips, more than the average oven can handle, which will dry to a whopping 18 ounces or so.

Now, glop it all together in a gallon-size zip-loc bag and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Next day, stretch meat out on paper towels to drain while you clean the top oven rack. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower rack to aid in clean up. Set oven at lowest temperature setting to dry meat. Crack opens the oven door to allow moisture to escape. (Smaller pieces will be dry in about 2-1/2 hours - larger pieces may take 4-5.) Drying times vary due to the oven differences and meat size. You'll know when the meat is ready, as your family will begin stealing jerky right out of the oven.

SPICY EDITION: ADD-
    2 or 3 Teaspoons Tabasco sauce and/or 1 or 2 Teaspoons crushed red pepper

ONE MORE OPTION: Use a meat smoker to dry jerky. Mesquite works well with all red meats. Don't fill the bowl with water as you normally would, you're drying the meat remember? And forget the Liquid Smoke if you dry the meat this way, otherwise you will have "SMOKED" the meat to death.

5. Yep that American Harvest stuff is pretty good, I use it when I have a bunch of ground meat to use up. I like cutting the meat into strips better than the ground up meat. I just start out with a bowl of water about a gallon or gallon and a half and add a half cup or so of salt and then start adding things. Hot sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce, bbq sauce, molasses, brown surgar and then what ever dry spices you want galic powder, onion powder, realy just about anything. You can get an idea of the flavor by sticking your finger in the brine for a little taste. Soak the meat for an hour or so and the dry. One thing to remember is that each cut of meat will absorb the brine differently. If you cut across the grain it will soak it up really quick and if you go with the grain it wont soak it up much. So dont leave it in too long depending on the cut of meat.