close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a Smoked Steelhead recipe

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by pymybob, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I have a charcoal smoker that I want to break in soon with some fresh trout I caught over the weekend. Anyone have any good charcoal smoker tips and/or recipes that I can give a shot? Let me know.

2. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

me too....i got some fish....Bob, I grilled some tonight and last night and your in for a treat, it tastes really good.

flash--------------------------out

3. Ben, how did you prepare it? I've never eaten one that wasn't smoked.

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I do mine a little different every time, but I usually smoke mine over charcoal and alder or apple wood chips. First step is to soak the completely deboned fillets in brine for around 20 minutes and rinse. Then, sometimes I marinate in Italian dressing for a couple hours. Or, I rub in some black pepper, garlic, herbs.

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Soy sauce, garlic salt, pepper, table salt. Mix in a bowl. Soak fish in bowl for about 30 min. Fire up the grill. Lay the fish directly on the grill and close the lid. about every minute I open the minute and baste the soy over the fish. If you drizzle some of the soy in the bowl over the open flame it will create smoke, which is a good thing. Close the lid and cook for about 5 min. Then flip. Repeat the basting process, and the drizzle over the flame. Then begin to baste a little butter of which I melted in the microwave, on each side. Drizzle the butter into the flame as well. The fish will pickup this nice smoke flavor. Finish it off by dusting some salt and pepper on the fish while they are on the grill. Depending on how you like your fish done, a little crispy on the edge is how my girlfriend likes it. I like it just so I can see the grill marks on each side of the fish.

Now she wants more fish, so I guess I am going to have to go up soon.

flash------------------------------------out

6. Anyone know where I can find wood chunks for smoking and not the bagged tiny shavings you can get at Dick's or the like?

I've cooked trout (both on the grill and oven) with a little lemon, dill, garlic pepper, Mrs. Dash (hot) and Old Bay with some butter and that fish comes out perfect everytime.

I've had this smoker now for over a year and need to break it in. Probably will just experiment with what I have and go from there. Will hopefully be back up at the wall in another week or so if anyone's interested. Thanks!

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

let me know if you guys go back up, I gotta try that again. I have a net we can use. I replaced the handle on my frabill (3') with an 8' peice of aluminum tubing. I hope it handles it, it SEEMS sturdy.....it needs tested!

8. Dingo

Dingo

Home depot has some nice wood chunks, hickory and mesquite. Both small (3-5lb) and big (20lb+) bags. Near the grilling supplies. Had a bunch left when I was there last week.

9. I would have never thought of looking there! I'll have to make a trip out there and pick up a bag. Have you been out since last Sunday?

10. Dingo

Dingo

No. Had to catch up on chores and work after taking three days off fishing (rocky river friday, perch saturday, fairport sunday). Northeast winds kept me off the lakeshore for walleyes the past few evenings. Will probably get out tomorrow and/or saturday for steelies before the lake gets blown around again.

11. I got this recipe from Shelley and Courtney's site as I was watching and episode on The Outdoor Channel. Looks good!

BBQ Salmon or Steelhead Papiotte with Pineapple Salsa
    Ingredients:
    1 whole salmon or steelhead – sized to fit onto grill or in oven
    Stuffing:
    1/4 cup of butter
    1 tspn garlic puree
    1 sliced lemon and lime
    Stuff well cleaned salmon or steelhead with the butter, lemon, lime and garlic. Wrap whole fish completely in tin foil – the “Papiotte” place in oven at 350 or on a covered grill for approximately 40 minutes. Check on the fish periodically to ensure doneness. When finished serve skin less fish with the salsa. Recipe provided by Warren Dean. All ingredients found on the recipe cards in the recipe section!