close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a Reel.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Skizzy Rotum, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hey everyone I am looking for a baitcasting reel that I can easily cast lighter lures with. I typically fish with a 5'6 Light Action spinning setup. I would like to find something of this nature for the baitcaster. Maybe a 6' Medium Rod setup. What reel would best suit me. I am not an "expert" with the baitcaster but I "can" cast them. Can't flip or pitch. I have a 6'6 BPS extreme setup right now, not exactly sure what model reel it is maybe the ETX20HD? I was looking at the ETX05HB reel and it looked decent. Haven't actually seen it in person yet. I would like to stay around the $120 marker for both the Rod/Reel. This will mainly be used for the LMR and most likely farm ponds.

Jake

2. Unless you are planning on lures over 1/4 oz. Stay with the spinning.

3. I have the EXT05, and its a great reel! Works very well with light lures. Although as the previous post says, I wouldn't use anything less than 1/4 ounce. Although it casts 1/4 ounce lures quite well without backlash...I'm new to baitcasters and this was my first "decent" one. I'm very pleased with it...

Good luck!

4. in order to cast light lures a baitcaster has to have a very light spool. These extremely light spools are only found on the high dollar reels, so a baitcaster might be out of the question.

5. I agree...I've heard great things about the Diawa Sol if it helps!

6. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I bought a Quantum Accurist II for my first baitcaster and it is working out great. They now have them at Walmart and I think they're $80. Go to the next aisle over and get a Berkley Lightning Rod casting rod either 6' or 6'6". That rod is $40 right now, there's your $120.

This is the setup that I'm using, and its working pretty sweet for me.