Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a new spinning reel for saltwater use, under $200. I would also like this reel to be able to be used on steelhead when they run if I decide to try steelhead fishing too this year. I'm going to Charleston and northern Florida this September for 8 days, and plan on surf and pier fishing. Any suggestions? I'd also like to be able to get it from BPS since I have almost $100 in gift cards too.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Just about any reel can be used in saltwater. Like mentioned, a light rinsing each day is all they need, if that. I usually only get around to rinsing mine every 2-3 outings. Nothing has failed me yet.

·
Those BLASTED darn bass
156 Posts
JohnPD: For the last 3 years I have been using a fresh water Daiwa 3500 medium spinning reel I bought at Nags Head, NC while vacationing there. It costs $13.00. The exact same reel in Columbus costs ~$29.00. I have caught numerous fish in the surf with it. Just 3 weeks ago I got a 7lb./27" Red Drum on the reel using 8 lb. line. Likes been said, regardless of the make of a reel, keep sand out and don't let it get submerged. After fishing for the day, just wipe it down with a damp rag, don't spray it with a hose. Mine is still working great after 3 years and reels smoothly. The beach shops sell "other" cheap reels (under $30.00), but I found the Daiwas's to be the best for the money. But when I get back to Ohio, I completely tear a reel apart, clean it, and re-lube. Darby Rat

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
penn battle 4000-5000

http://www.basspro.com/Penn-Battle-Saltwater-Spinning-Reels/product/10209995/#chart-container

like anything used in the salt water ....fresh water rinse at the end of each day....
What he says. And that a fine reel right there for the money.

There are websites where you can get cash for gift cards too.

Don't fear a bait caster at the pier or beach. You'll be casting heavy sinkers with a chunk of of bait and I've not had a problem with backlash, even casting in to the wind. With a bait caster you can crank that sucker right on in with no fear of twist. Handy fishing from bridges too.

After fishing for the day, just wipe it down with a damp rag, don't spray it with a hose.
I know no one, including those that live there that do that.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
What he says. And that a fine reel right there for the money.

There are websites where you can get cash for gift cards too.

Don't fear a bait caster at the pier or beach. You'll be casting heavy sinkers with a chunk of of bait and I've not had a problem with backlash, even casting in to the wind. With a bait caster you can crank that sucker right on in with no fear of twist. Handy fishing from bridges too.

I know no one, including those that live there that do that.
I could have mentioned zeebaas,van staal, or the newer Diawa....but in his price range the penn battle will serve him well....

and with salt water reels or any reel used in it.....there is never too much fresh water that can be used when rinsing them off each and every day.....mine have lasted for 20+ years of going....just like a lot of locals down that way with 40+ year old reels
Penn this fall is bringing back the discontinued 706 manual reel that so many love to use....and just slightly over your price range at around 250.00 but that might be slightly large for steel head:confused:
and if you like braided line the battle spool is set up for that

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be fishing the Atlantic coast in Florida. I like the Penn Battle, looks great, but What about the Penn Spinfisher V? It seems to have a way stronger drag, and it is a sealed drag too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Shimano saragosa or stradic. both have aluminum frames and are saltwater approved from shimano. I have a new stradic and feel it is the nicest spinning reel i have owned. They both have sealed drags. The saragosa has a slightly stronger drag than the stradic. The penn is a good reel it even has a sealed body. Proven name. Would stick to the traditional Penns. Some of the models are a pure fishing product. While a decent reel they are not quite the same as the traditional Penn product. The spinfisher v would be a good choice along with the shimanos

·
Banned
16,937 Posts

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Shimano saragosa or stradic.
I have the Stradic and love it, it's matched to a custom rod and I can cast from 1/16 to 1 3/8 with no problem. It is in his price range too.

I think his issue with the Stradic is the size of the spool, I'm not certain he can get enough line on it for the type of fishing he wants to do.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
John, go to pier and surf.com, it's the best saltwater site I have found yet. Throw your question out there OR send a PM to River, he can help you.

River works at the Roost tackle shop at Teaches Lair Marina on Hatteras Island and is an avid fisherman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts