close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a new Rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by KTkiff, Aug 31, 2004.

1. A friend got me into fishing this year, and I've seemed to pick it up quite well. However, I do notice that his rod doesn't bend quite as much as mine does when reeling in similar sized fish. As far as feel and casting distance, what are the advantages of a stiff rod over a less stiff one, and vice versa. Currently, I have a 6'0 medium action IM6 (I think) from Gander Mountain. I mainly do a lot of fishing for perch, walleye, white bass, crappie, some catfish, and a lot of river fishing for smallies, rockbass, etc. Do you have any suggestions as far as brand names? I'm looking to spend around $50. Any help is appreciated.

2. You will probably get lots of suggestions on what to use, but it boils down to personal preference. For the variety of fish that you are targeting, a medium action rod should work very well. Some people would go with a medium light rod for some of the smaller fish, and some would go heavier for fish like the cats. I have found that places like Gander Mtn., Galyans, and Bass Pro make good rods for cheap. You may want to look at these places first. Just make sure that you will feel comfortable using it as that is very important. Name brand often is just personal preference.

3. JBJ

JBJ

Something to think about, take a look at the two rods. You will probably notice that your rod is rated for lower pound test line. This comes in to play when the two of you are fishing. One rod will be more suited to a certain species than the other. With this delemma you are beginning to understand why anglers have sooooo many different rigs for all the different species they target or for the different techniques they employ on one species.

It isn't an absolute necessity to have 20 rods but now you know why there are so many to choose from at the store...

Maybe some of the members can chime in with what rods they use for all-around fishing.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Just to add to JBJ.....smaller line size can play a major roll in catching in rivers, compared to a higher line size. Especially if you are fishing in any current. This speaks true for mono, as braids will be a stronger lb test, but a much lower "mono" equivilent diameter.

Smaller diameter line cuts the current better in moving water, allowing your bait to go deeper, or giving you more control over your lure. Normally for Walleye fishing on Erie, I will go with 8-10lb test. BUT.....when I'm fishing the rivers in the spring for the run, I will size down to 6-8 lb test depending on the actual river I'm fishing. Same with smallies. I will go all the way to 4 lb test when fishing streams for smallies. Just because you are fishing 4 lb test doesn't mean you can't catch anything over 4 lbs. I caught a 40+lb spoonbill on an Ohio River Tributary once on 8 lb test. FIght took nearly 45 mins. If you are careful, and fight the fish well.....lower lb test can hold up to higer lb fish.

Only downfall to this is if you are fishing an area with a lot of snags. Naturally.....trying to get a jig out of sticks/rocks with 6lb test is going to be tougher than say with 10 or 12lb test.

Just my opinions.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

for all around rod, I use a gander mt. medium light action in the 7ft model. there are several different models, but it boils down to which one feels better in your hand.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Falcon Rods

American made (for those of you who care), all around good rods (except for the ultralights), they last a long time for about $57.00. My only beef is they quit made Tenessee handle rods.
    I like Loomis or St. Croix better but you're talking real $$$$$ there.

7. JBJ

JBJ

I like those Falcons too. I have several of the Lowrider series and one of the Silver series. The silvers are about as good as a Galyans HM40 but the Lowriders I'd say are up there with St. Croix.

For those who like using lighter PT on mono but are having challenges around rocks and cover, try Stren Magnaflex or P-line CXX. I have had great experiences with both for superior abrasion resistance.

8. I love the St. Croix Avid and Premiere rods but also own several Falcon Lowrider and Cara series rods.

9. the berkley lighting rod is a good all round rod.

10. a pole that i like a lot was bought at walmart for $19.99 it is a shakespear Micro Graphite medium light action and is 6'6" and is 4-10 lb test and I find this to be a good for all around fishing you can catch HOGS on ultra lights it is all in how you work the fish

11. I like Kistler Helium LTA rods. They're expensive and worth every penny.

Kistler Rods

Scott

12. A 6ft medium action Gander rod will do a great all around job for the fishing you describe. Ask other members you meet on the water if you can try their rod for a few cast. What is good for others may not be for you. Different rod manufacturers have varying feels in the same described action. St. Croix is noted for being a bit stiffer than others. Ihave St. Croix and Falcon rods and each has a purpose. If I was confined to a single rod I would choose a medium action, 6'-6" St, Croix Avid series which vary from $125 to $160 depending on length.
    Your profile does not indicate where you live but you are welcome to come to Media and try a broad selection of rods at my house and neighbors lake. :cool: The last guy that did this caught a four pound bass and ended up buying the rod from me. :D

13. Thanks for your advice guys. I do have one more question for you. If you are comparing two rods of equal stiffness, lure weight, everything..but one is 6'0, and the other is 6'6, will the longer rod cast further?

14. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Moved to tackle talk

15. Ktkiff,

For the most part you will be able to cast longer with the longer rod. Also, what you will get is a bit more hooksetting ability with the longer rod which is particularly if you are using monofilament line due to the stretch factor.