close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a heavy spinning reel

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by blance, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Anyone have any experience with heavy spinning reels? My girlfriend needs one for fishing the larger channel cats and/or flatheads we find in our local river and casting/trolling 6/8/12 inch musky baits. I wish she would learn to use either my C3 or C4, but she refuses and says she wants a spinning reel instead. So far we've looked at a couple on the cabelas site and she likes the Okuma Oryx ( http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0023726317075a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20333&podId=0023726&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat20333&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F02%2F37%2F26%2Fp023726ii01.jpg&hasJS=true ). Her decision is based mostly (yeah right, solely) on appearance and not function. I know the Okuma reels are fairly new and their longetivity has yet to be determined. I'm planning on mating whichever reel she ends up with on either a 6-6 or 7ft heavy rod and spooling up either 25 or 30# Fireline. Any input from someone using a heavy spinning real for casting large crankbaits, spinners or fishing catfish is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

2. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Okuma Epixor...I just got one and love it...and the wife casts it great :)

3. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I've got a pair of the Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliners (TWS70FL) and I haven't had any problems with them. Although they are heavy reels, they work great on my 8' MH Berkley Catmandu rods. However, they haven't been tested by anything larger than about 13#.

4. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

The Diawa BG reels are as tough as nails, but that is only if you want a reel wihout a bait clicker/alarm. They are saltwater tested and handle years of abuse even in those conditions.
    There is only one that is not all that great and it is the BG-90, but that is bigger than you would want for channel cats.

Just my 2 cents worth

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Okuma Epixor br65 it has the baitrunner feature.

6. How to the bait clickers work on a spinning reel, anything like on my C3/C4??? Do the make a clicking noise or so they silently let line out?

Thanks

Barry

7. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Although not nearly as load as the clickers on your C3/C4 reels, the "bait feeders" on the spinning reels do make an audible noise. However, I don't believe they will wake you up when you are fishing for cats in the middle of the night and you doze off.

8. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

Hard to beat a Penn for reliability and durability, however, they aren't as smooth as others right out of the box. Gotta lube them up good to get them to be great. I have one I use for the few times I get out to Saltwater fish.

Jake

9. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

My dad and I also have a couple of Mitchell Full Runners. They have a bait clicker feature that is actually louder than that of the c4, but it is more of a digital alarm clock sound. I've had mine for about two years and I only use it on my long channel cat rigs. They are pretty big reels, not expensive at all, and haven't let me down yet. But I am not sure how they will be in the long run.
    Just another thought?

10. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I have a Shimano br4500 and its great. I also have an okuma br50 and its good too, but its hard to beat the 4500.

11. I have a couple of the big Tidewater spinning reels and they work fine on big cats.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I have a Mitchell Electronic Full Runner as mentioned on here before, a couple of us agree theya re a great channel cat reel, but im pretty sure I wouldnt chance anything over 20 lbs on them. They are extremely week in the handle & just seem to have that strong backbone that others do.