Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids (19 and 14 y.o. girls) and I are planning a nice fishing recreational trip and need your advice. I would like a secluded campsite with electricity or a cabin for 9 days at the end of July. Sure we could try local but I'm feeling adventurous. Thinking of heading north to Michigan or wisconsin to maybe find some cooler weather and will be taking my boat. I'd like lots of trees, trails and of course good fishing. Lake michigan may be too rough a lot of the time but I wouldn't mind doing some salmon trolling. I'd like a large inland lake nearby in case the Great lakes are too rough. Having a decent town nearby would nice as well to keep the kids busy if they get bored of fishing. So, any recommendations? In a perfect world we would get a cabin on a lake with my boat docked or beached in front, air conditioning, nice showers and EXCELLENT FISHING.

thanks ahead of time.

Paul and family

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,799 Posts
There are lots! Even air bnb has people listing campsites on their "back 40" in North Carolina and other states. I was looking to head down to Boone or Asheville 4th of July but I looked too late. Was out of my price range or campsites.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Try the Indian River, Michigan area. Was up there for some ice fishing and snowmobiling this past winter. Both Burt and Mullet lake are connected by the Indian river and you can have plenty to explore between both lakes and even fish, boat etc.. there are all purpose trails that go for miles. Mackinac City within a half hour, Mackinac Island or spend a day or two exploring St. Ignace when you cross into the up. There are plenty of places there to be remote but within a short drive to the great lakes fishing, protected inland fishing or plenty of stuff to keep everyone entertained. There is also a herd of elk that roam the areas up there and businesses regularly report their movements for viewing. Not sure how fishing or elk c viewing is during your time frame but that is a great area up there.

http://irchamber.com/elk-viewing-map/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
i also 2nd the Dale Hollow suggestion. One of my favorite lakes in TN. Corps of Engineer lake so is more natural without lots of lakefront development other than marinas. if you stay near the dam, then you can also fish the tailwater area which is a trout tailwater fishery. large variety of fish in the lake too - walleye, large mouth, small mouth, trout. have caught all of those in one day on Dale Hollow.

·
Harry
960 Posts
I say go north as you said to cooler weather. Dale hollow and Cumberland are great in fall and spring, way too hot for daytime fishing in the summer. I’d check out northern Michigan. As was said UP is beautiful, but northern LP is nice too.

·
Harry
960 Posts
Also reserve asap. With COVID 19, outdoor recreation is an extremely popular vacation and the cabins are filling up. At least that was the case for us at Cumberland in mid june

1 - 12 of 12 Posts