close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

looking for a 55gal Aquarium

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by fish4wall, Jan 19, 2005.

1. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

im looking to start my frist reef tank....
    ive had saltwater tanks before and would love to try a reef tank.
    so any 55gal tank with or with out the stuff(stand,hood...)
    thanks
    fish4wall

2. fishfinder

fishfinder trying

0   0   0

Rather than buy a used one I would go and find a deal on a new one. This way you will have the warrenty papers on all the equipment. Never know, seal could give on old aquariums. It would be better not to chance these kinds of things. I would hate to have a couple hundred of dollers tied up in fish and the seal give. I will look around though and see if I can find anything. I'll post back if I do.

3. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

thanks a ton...
    i hear what your saying about leaks on used tanks..
    i always run a new bead of silicone on all the joints.
    fish4wall

4. fishfinder

fishfinder trying

0   0   0

I wonder if you have any pics of existing tanks you have or that you had before.

5. fishcatcher87

fishcatcher87

0   0   0

to me i think you should try the fli market down at ceaser creek? ive gotten a few tanks there befor and evry one has worked great and you also get good deals to.

6. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

fishfinder no i dont.....i have a 30gal setup now. and the clown i had just died
    ive had him for 7yrs :eek: so im feeling that this would be a good time to do the change....

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

0   0   0

Does it have to be exactly 55 or would you want one a little bigger or smaller?? I am asking because my uncle is big into fish tanks and all that. I know he had quite a few he was going to take to one of the fish auctions he goes to. If I get a chance to talk to him, I can ask him what he has.

8. I have a 50 gallon breeder tank and a iron stand that I'll let go for $35.00.........Rich

9. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

rockbass it can be a little bigger...just trying to cut cost...
    Richs63Corvair what part of town are you???
    fish4wall

10. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

0   0   0

I'd have to disagree with fishfinder's comment about used equipment. I have been in the Aq hobby longer than he has been alive (not a slam, just showing my age) ;) Anyway, I have bought and sold many tanks in my adventures and have kept as many as 20 tanks at one time ranging from basic 5 gallon to 250 gallon and I have rarely ran into a leak. The worst was a few years ago on a flat back hex tank but it was an easy fix. In my experience, the most problematic type of tanks are the hex or semi hex tanks that have odd angles. 55's are squared off and are less prone to leaks. I have only bought 1 tank new except for a few 10 gallon's that were not really new but were used for the American Cichlid Association show for 3 days. I am in the process of buying a used 125 gallon right now. Don't shy away from used tanks for fear of leaks.

Fishfinder, here is a link to a few of my older tanks from a few years ago. I had 17 tanks at that time and have since reduced it down to 4 and that will in a few days be down to 3 as soon as I get the 125 setup. http://www.geocities.com/fastlane_z71/Aquarium.htm

Since tose pics were taken I have gone away from the color gravel and use natural or crushed aragonite substrate.

11. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

0   0   0

if you are looking to set up a reef tank, i would strongly suggest you get a new tank.. you never know what kind of parasite you can bring into your show tank.. if you are looking to start fresh from the ground up, there's a guy up in MI that have everything you will ever need..his stuff are top of the line as he propagate everything from his stock.. everything he have are tank raised.. i got a clam from him once that cost me $250 a piece..it looked so good that i didn't even think twice about it....
    i'll try to get the info for you and will get back..
    the direction on how to get to his place is easy.. from ohio take I75 north towards detroit..then take I275 towards the airport..exit at sibley rd .. turn right off the ramp(east)..take that to inkster rd and turn right(south) for a couple of miles..the place is on the right..look for fishy mailbox..and the greenhouse type structure on his lot..
    their hours open to public are only on weekends.. the rest of the week they do wholesale and mail order...
    goood luck in your quest..i love reef tanks.. and dont forget to snap a pic or 2 once u set her up.. :)

12. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

0   0   0

i finally remember the name of the place..
    http://www.tropicorium.com/
    back when i used to keep the reef tank in lexington KY, i remember driving up to see dick perrin and his stocks.. it was well worth the drive even from KY..

13. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

0   0   0

If you are setting up a reef tank i would strongly reccommend a 75 gallon. It is a lot wider than a 55gallon and would give you more room to build your reef. If that is too big than get a smaller tank but make sure the dimentions are fairly wide. The standard 55 gallon is only 12" wide but is 4' long. I have a 55 gallon and i wish it were wider. My 125 is so much nicer when dealing with tank width. A 75 is just as wide as my 125. I don't have aproblem with used tanks but you can pick up the tanks fairly cheap its the other stuff, filters, lights, heaters,stand that drive up the cost of an aquarium. If i remember right you can pick up a 75 gallon tank for less than 100 bucks. If you do get a tank new or used i recommend going to www.bigalsonline.com they have the best prices on filters and other stuff you will need. Example, at most stores around here you would pay 75 dollars for an aqua clear 500 ( a nice big hang on the back filter) but at big als only 29. Much cheaper on canister type one also .I have heard that orders take a long time from als but everytime i order my stuff is at my door in two weeks or less. Hope this helps.

14. Fastlane

0   0   0

15. Fastlane

0   0   0

Oh yeah and Ditto what Marshal said about the tank and Big Al's . Reef setups are managable in a 55 but the extra 6" is much nicer for both display and arrangement of the live rock. Big Al's is absolutely the cheapest place for most supplies and even food. I used to by my sea salt mix from them too and even after paying the s/h it was still far cheaper than the LFS

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

0   0   0

I'm starting a cichlid tank. Fish are getting shipped to me and will be in tomorrow.

17. discgolfer

discgolfer

0   0   0

i've got a 55 i would let go if the price or trade is right. i bought it used...wrought iron double stand, 55 gal. tank, and a 2 piece top (one is broke, but works fine as a top) and 2 lights (one is flaky and doesnt always come on). i added 2 big (550's i think) penguin powerfilters, thermometer, and a good quality heater. the tanks does not leak. it is set up and full of african cichlids as i type. make me an offer.

18. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

discgolfer and Fastlane check your PM'S
    thanks
    scott

19. FREE TO WHO EVER WANTS TO COME PICK IT UP:

It's either 45 or 55 gallon aquarium with a Penguin 330 filter. Just add new filters and wheels and you'll have a descent set up. All I have in it now are some leftover minnows from September. I don't have a stand for it, i have it suspended from the basement ceiling........looks cool, but not enough time to keep up with it.........