close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a 5-7 HP motor? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Mrfunnieman, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Hey Gang!

My grandfather was asking me about finding him a back up motor. I thought I would post and see if anyone had any suggestions on a 5-7 HP motor. I don't know anything about a good motor, but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site. I am in Columbus, but he is in the Youngstown area. I think he is looking for a Johnson and was not looking for a new motor, but an affordable one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

2. First before doing your search make sure you know the details of what he needs in a motor. Does he want a tiller model which is simply steering via the steering arm on the motor as opposed to having steering cables running to a steering console. Most likely on a small motor tiller is what he wants but make sure first. Next make sure of the length shaft that he requires. The motors come in short and long shaft models and this must match the boat to work. The best way to find which one is you do not already is to measure the heigth of the transom or the back of the boat, the distance from the top of the back end of the boat where the motor will rest to the bottom of the hull. If it is closer to 15" you will want to look for a short shaft motor. If it is closer to 20" you will need a long shaft. A short shaft motor will not work if the transom is too high (trust me I learned this one on my first motor purchase). And also you don't want to put a long shaft motor on a short transom because you will risk hitting the prop and motor and also you will experience drag that cuts down on performance.

Once you know what you need you can start searching around. You will find some on here on occasion. Also asking out of the clear blue can get leads as well. As a matter of fact I just put a motor of mine on sale in the OGF Marketplace that you may want to take a look at. This is a 1978 9.9 Johnson short shaft tiller model. This is a great motor. It is a bit larger than you mentioned but you can give it a look at this link.
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18816

3. Try looking into a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp 4 cycle. Well worth the money. I called and had one at my door in two days!

4. try smalloutboards.com
    Used motors, good service, fast, reliable, trustworthy....need I say more.
    A friend and I bought a 15hp from them this past spring. Ran great with zero problems.
    Phish Phil

5. Thanks for the replies guys.

bkr43050 - I will check with him and find out if the transom is short or long. I will also ask about a 9.9 hp. He might be interested.

getinjiggy - I will look into the Briggs and Stratton sounds like some thing he might be interested in.

Phish Phil - I am going to check the website out as soon as I find out about the transom dimensions.

Thanks again,

eric