Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
cast4life
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kayak the Beach City back waters? I remember going there years ago, walken way back to catch big bass. I want to give it a try, was just woundering if anyone on here has had any luck.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Yes, I have. I went down to the southern shore by SR 93 and up what I believe is Sugar Creek quite a ways.
I was having fun sight fishing carp on the main lake area. Bass and northerns in the creek.
It's empty of people way back there. Felt like you were in the boonies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you know how far on foot one is able to walk down the river? Been there a couple times but right by the dam, didn't look like any access too far past the dam. Although maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
cast4life
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went down to check it out Sun. I parked in the pull off area on Soehlen RD in the Beach City Wildlife Area, I put the yak in there, witch I think is the South Fork SugarCreek and headed away from the dam, about a mile down there is alil overflow drain, got out there and checked out what was on the other side, big body of water I was looken for, anybody fish that I didn't take a pole with me cause I was just checking thing out!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I went down to check it out Sun. I parked in the pull off area on Soehlen RD in the Beach City Wildlife Area, I put the yak in there, witch I think is the South Fork SugarCreek and headed away from the dam, about a mile down there is alil overflow drain, got out there and checked out what was on the other side, big body of water I was looken for, anybody fish that I didn't take a pole with me cause I was just checking thing out!!
Thanks, I was on the other side of the dam, didn't even know there was water on the side you were talking about haha. I looked on google maps and see where you're talking about. Going to have to check that out, maybe this weekend.

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
cast4life
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, looks like a killer place to fish! And if remember right once u get out the river and into the lake, u should be able to yak across the way & under the train tracks to the other side, that's where I remember going when I was younger. I hope to get out there soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone tried this recently? I went to check it out yesterday. I was planning on putting my kayak in the creek off off SR 93. It looks on Google Earth like there is a boat ramp or at least a parking area near the creek in that spot, but there was a chain across the road to get there. I drove around for a while trying to find a place to put in. The best place I found was near where Soehnlen rd crosses the south fork sugar creek. I put in there and tried to paddle up toward the lake, but there were trees across the creek and I couldn't get past. Anyone know of a good spot to put a kayak in on the creek or the lake? I don't want to waste another afternoon trying to figure it out, as it's an hour drive from my house. Beautiful area though, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have always wondered about that area every time driving past it traveling. Sounds like a trip forthcoming and maybe get enough for group outing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah the trees were towards the dam. I should have checked out the other direction, but it was starting to rain. Also, if you drive further up Soehnlen Rd you come to a drainage area / back water right next to the road. I put in there thinking I might be able to get to the creek. No luck on that. Caught a couple small gills in there. Depth was only about 1-3 ft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts