close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Look at this!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by orangecountychoppers., May 17, 2005.

1. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

no one should have one, since they are illegal in many states, as is speeding. :rolleyes:

Let us know how much that first ticket costs ya since you are now invincible. ;)

2. Speed Kills...
    I have lost family and friends :(

3. Not to encourage speeding but,
    The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of Virginia, Washington DC., and on military bases. They are also prohibited in all commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 lbs.

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

its easier to just not break the law. DON"T SPEED

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I second that!.....Even though I will push it now and then...Nothing too much though

6. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Some of the expensive ones will pay your first ticket if you get one. My friend bought a top of the line one, and got nailed going 87 in a 65 in Georgia. Idiot. But the company sent him a check to cover the ticket!

7. Boy some of you guys are real quick to get up on your soap boxes aren't ya?

Speed doesn't kill, idiot drivers do.

Steve

8. Funny had a customer come in last week whining about getting a speeding ticket,the cop said he would have not gotten one if he had not had a detector on the dash :) Good luck to ya.

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Hahahaa.....good responses, not at all what I thought. I figured I'd be in the minority.
    Ditto on the don't speed, etc. It also wears out your vehicle & makes it dangerous for someone not expecting you moving so fast. I went thru a stage where I'd run my little 4 banger Isuzu Impulse wide open back to Cinti from CC. I could hit 105 MPH on some of the hills with a backwind. Some guy pulled into my lane doing about 75 MPH and man, it could've been real bad. Don't ever want to put someone at risk again & I never speed anymore more than maybe 5 MPH over sometimes now. Also if you cause an accident and there's a fatality, it's vehicular homicide. Especially if let's say you were speeding in a residential neighborhood, maybe 40 in a 25 and a kid runs out in front of you...bye bye, you are going to prison and even worse...you have to live with that memory :) Don't put yourself and others at risk just to save a few minutes or to seek a thrill.
    Yes this is true...Speed doesn't kill, idiot drivers do. So when some idiot changes lanes or pulls out in front of a speeder, who's at fault ? :confused: Sometimes an idiot driver is doing the speeding. It's like falling, that won't hurt, it's the sudden stop, same with speeding, it's the sudden stop. There's statistics which show the incidents of injuries and fatalities at various speeds. Guess what? At higher speeds, injuries & fatalities go up.

10. Well said Jim...
    Speed does kill... the limits are set for safety not just because...

11. Thats a pretty nice radar detector. Just a question though. Does it pick up the Highway Patrolman sitting in the middle of the highway without his gun on? He'll get you when you see him and slam on your brakes. It also won't notify you when they come up behind you and pace you. Like I said it's a pretty nice detector. I have one not that fancy. I hardly ever use it. I only use it when I'm going to Cincy or other long distances. I don't know why seeing as how nuns pass me on the free way. Mine is a pretty nice window decoration. Just be careful out there. The detector doesn't give you a reason to speed. There are other ways they will pull you over than just the gun.

12. I have had a good radr detector for a long long time. Many times I have been "reminded" of my speed. I may or may not be speeding, but it does send me litle bleeps of reminders and I am grateful to have it. I would bet more times than it has slowed me down, when I am in too much of a hurry. I drive thru the infamous Boston heights and Cuyahoga Falls twice daily and it's been quite a while since I have gotten a ticket. So I view it as my little helper to keep my speed down. I also have driven alot of miles and as we ALL know almost everyone on the highway is speeding nowadays. Having said that and expecting to get berated, I think that is a great unit and thanks for sharing the info with us.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

tony,i like your signature line :D
    only thing wrong with,is i doubt i'll ever teach you how to catch that 20 inch crappie :rolleyes: :D

as for the subject of the thread,i really don't think that a radar detector is a big deal,one way or the other.not all people who have them,are out to be flying low,at 80-100 mph,down the highway.i know people who have them,and rarely exceed the speed limit.and not by much,if they do.i "speed" most of the time(i prefer the term,driving above the posted limit,lol).not by much,but still illegal.of course,speed is relative.30 in a 25 zone?(20% over) that's not exactly what i'd call "speed".78 in a 65,again 20% over,is a little different,and much more dangerous,and the likelyhood of a ticket and in case of accident,more serious injuries, is definitely,in most cases,greater than doing 30 in a 25.
    but for those who really like to push it.......................speed on brother,hell ain't half full yet ;)

14. catking

catking Banned

Does these radar detectors work if the law is using lazer ?? I heard they do not and most states use lazer now anyways??? I have no idea as I always obey the speed limits ............ :rolleyes: .......... But I am almost 48 and yet to receive a ticket of any kind..... Now I'm just braggin...... :D

15. Sure radar detectors are good when the cops are on the ground, but what about the planes they are using now.

16. It's about time you seen that Misfit. It's been on there for about a week now. Maybe when I catch that 20"er you'll be there and you can say you taught me everything I know.

Anyways back to the topic. King I think some of the newer ones do pick up lazer. I think the one I have does but then again it picks up the doors at the 7-11 too. :rolleyes:

17. You should direct that customer to a attorney, because radar detectors are not illegal in Ohio. Like I said before, they are only illegal in Washington D.C., Virginia, and on any Military Base. Maybe he got it because the cop just doesnt like em.

He did not get a ticket for a radar detector though.

Here is a websites that show the legal states:

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/choosing-detector/radar-detector-laws.asp

this is to the national conference of state legislature:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transportation/radar.htm#table2

18. do you really buy that bull, sounds like to me the cop was just being a butthead to me.

19. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good point ex-X a reminder. I usually use my cruise control so I won't have too much to worry about. I drive the Double A hiway in KY & it's 55 MPH and heavily patrolled, it's also has the highest rate of fatalities in KY, hence the heavy patrol action. It really is difficult to remain at 55 or close to it.