Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets send in your favorite sheephead picture.
This is a fella named Poodles with his dandy Sheep.
I'd like to nominate him for angler of the month. LOL :) :) :D

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
The fish is purtier than the fisherman! (just kidding) :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Holy honkers!!! That's got to be a fish 'OH'

.....but would you want to claim it as so???/

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, that one is good, but this one might be even better! This is my daughter Kristi and her 19 lb 6 oz monster caught 2 1/2 years ago just west of Kellys Island on 6 lb test with a frozen minnow.

Attachments

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Yes, that one is good, but this one might be even better! This is my daughter Kristi and her 19 lb 6 oz monster caught 2 1/2 years ago just west of Kellys Island on 6 lb test with a frozen minnow.

HOLY SH**!

I have caught them in the 30-33 inch range, 12-15 pounds or so, but not that big.

That fish is just under the state record of 23.5 lbs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The DNR told me that Kristi's fish was the second largest sheephead they have EVER heard of-just missing the current state record set in 2003, but bigger than the previous state record of 17 lbs 3 ozs! it was truly a MONSTER. It took her about 40 minutes to land, I chased it with the boat for about a half hour. We were fishing perch with ultralights and 6 lb test!

It was funny because we were in my little 14 foot Lund and after we caught it, i went up to a charter who was fishing perch and asked him if he knew what the Ohio state record was for sheephead, he looked at me like what was I bothering him for-kinda like here is a guy-don't know nuthin with his 2 kids and a decent sized sheephed. So he says to me, "why-you think you have a big one?" I held the fish up and said, "yeah I do" he goes HOLY SH-T!!

It was a classic.

Jim

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
BAAAAHHHHHHHH dang croakers alway fooling us into thinkin we got a nice steelie or walleye on...untill after there first good pull then it's skiing to the back of the boat. BOOO on sheephead, they are fun to catch tho but only if the don't disapoint. I actually like catching them while perchin on light spinning gear that's fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
sheephead is not a bad tasting fish. most people just don't know how to prepair them. i found that if you tenderize them by smacking them against the boat (or rocks if your shore fishing) for a while there not bad tasting.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
They are great for smoking. You nail them to a piece of wood, then put them over the fire for a long while, when you think it is done, throw the sheephead in the fire and eat the wood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts