Longest Eye Ever!

Discussion in 'OGF Frontpage News' started by brewkettle, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Saturday forecast was perfect so my wife and I decided it was finally a good chance to take her 79 year old parents out for a day of perching.

We left Vermilion and headed East to the 1st pack of boats in front of the condos. Spent about an hour there with only a 5 lb catfish to show for it. The good news was it was my 79 year old mother in law that had boated the biggest fish of her life. I can tell you she was way more excited about it than i was.

The lake was dead flat so we decided to run to Lorain where we had done very well on Wednesday evening. We set the anchor and i did my duty for the next 3 hours baiting, unhooking, untangling and boxing up a nice cooler of about fifty 8-10 inch perch.

It was getting pretty hot about 1:30 and I could see it was taking a bit of a toll on my senior crew. I suggested we call it a day on perching and start trolling our way back. The crew agreed, so they reeled in and I packed up the gear. I knew I would be handling the set up so I just pulled out 4 rods with boards and a handfull of cranks. I did not even have the 2nd rod in when we hooked up with a giant sheep. I got rid of him and started over. Finally got all 4 rods in and 5 minutes later the same rod that had grabbed the sheep went off. Pam, the boss, grabbed the rod and the board went under. She was really struggling so I suggested she take the wheel and I sat my Father In Law down and handed him the rod. Slow and steady with no pumping was all I kept telling him. After 10 minutes this 33 inch, 10.56 pound super model was in the net. It was his 1st walleye ever! I suggested he take up golf now cause it doesn't get any better.

It was a day I know I'll never forget.

Attached Files:

Queen Bee likes this.
  2. Awesome Job. Definately a day to remember. :T

3. sherman51

sherman51 florida ice fishing

nice fairytale, everybody should be so lucky to bring that much pleasure to some elderly person. sounds like a great great day and i wish you many more.
    sherman

4. Great job, that's a heck of a story.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. silver shad

silver shad The Walleye Troll

6. captainshotgun

captainshotgun Senior Member

Great! Did you get anymore eyes?

7. CarpetBagger

CarpetBagger Lure Junkie

8. Scum_Frog

Scum_Frog Set The Hook`

Awesoem post and great story....ya a 33"...i dont see him beating that one any time soon lol if he does then I want in on your boat trolling! lol

9. You definitely earned some good Karma for that!!!

10. That was the only eye of the day. I immediately cleared the gear so we could get her to a scale since I could not believe the tape said 33" and the scale only said 10 pounds. I figured she had to go close to 13 since the tape did not lie.

11. That is A great story and A awsome Pic!

12. Stinks he couldn't have got her in the fall. She'd be a football! Thats for sure. But hey! Thats a nice Walleye! Good for him

13. Any colorful comments from the happy angler. Sometimes they say things they normally would not say. LOL

14. Jim,

I can't remember anything Ralph said, but I know I used some words that my M-I-L had never heard from my mouth before. Ralph had heard them all since we hunt together.

I know I was shaking and think I may have even dropped the "F" bomb when when I saw the crank fall out of her mouth in the net!

Chris

15. LOL YEA !!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT !!! love it. btw way to go.

16. Double J

Double J Capt Jeff

wow what a story.and what a rare fish....congrats! someday i'll get a 33'' i hope.is it going on the wall?

17. cw261

cw261 Member

That is a great story - thanks for sharing it.

18. WTG There buddy. That is a awesome story. With the spring and partial summer you had with boat problems No one deserves it more and your a pretty nice guy. lol. When you sent me the pic i looked at Nicholas and said I think Chris just caught the state record how awesome would that be. Freakin super models lol. Congrats again. BD

19. Great job Chris. I thought the same thing as Gary when i saw the pic you sent on the phone I couldn't believe it was only 10#. How many perch are you feeding her a day in the tank ? She should be pretty fat by oct. 8. LOL. Good fish again, Scott.

20. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Very nice fish! You don't see to many 33'ers out of ol Erie. A prize catch without a doubt to bad she's been on weight watchers for the past 6 months :p you would have had yourself a real horse on you hands.