Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
used to now my son does. how long ? 300 600 800 yds? more? our favorite was ground hogs at 300 to 600 yds, my fav cal is a 243. my son just put a silencer on his ar 10, kinda want to paste a couple chucks with it.. also hes going to get a new doppler radar instaed of the chrono graphs , we re load ... he also shoots competition pistol..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How far are you going to be able to shoot AR-10 with suppressor? Velocity will be under 1086 FPS. That’s going to put practical accuracy at 100-150yds at most. I don’t do suppressors anymore but have done extensive shooting with 308/ 7.62 NATO. I haven’t done extreme long range either but found one of the most accurate bullets to be Speer 130Hp. Springfield use to provide a loading manual for their M1a and they suggested the Speer 130hp as accuracy load. That’s what put me on to it and I have loaded it for all the major Para Military as well as various bolt actions and have gotten good results. I have not loaded it at low velocities.

With Military type rifles range was 300yds and iron sights. With Bolt guns / scopes out to 600yds. Keep in mind this was in 3000fps range.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
yeh im not sure on the ar 10 ammo but its sub sonic ,and he just put the silencer on and hasnt tested yet.. and your right speer was my fav . a 62 gr speer ballistic tip for varmits and a 100 gr soft nose for deer in 243 cal

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your right. However; there are several groups, that are shooting and hunting well over 1,000 yards. But, their using above average rifles and scopes. Nothing the average person can afford.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
my ruger target in 243 cal with an 11 deg crown, trigger job, and hand loads was my baby.. hunting ranges from in my face out to 500 yds all the time..most target out of the box rifles can do that even with factory ammo...but put on a knight force scope . game changer lol

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a Springfield. 22 single shot that was a real tack driver. I would tie a bottle cap to a string and at twenty five yards i would hit it; and then hit the string. When I went into the military I was dumb enough to let my brother in law hang onto it. It was stolen, along with his 22 magnum. I never bought a replacement. I could shoot quite a bit farther than I thought. Miss that little thing.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
my elk setup on a factory remington XCRII RUM300 has rang a gong at over 800yds with factory amo. only mods are timmy trigger (that was after the 800yd shots) and scoped with a nighforce 5-25 scope with 20-degree rise mount. have taken western whitetail at 475yds. i plan to take that setup out to 1000-yds with addition of muzzle brake to save my shoulder and lessen chance of detached retina. ha ha actually the kick on that RUM300 is not as harsh as the 338 win mag of similar setup. just don't ride up on the scope for either of those beasts. both are for hunting and as carried is just a bit over 8-lbs.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I’ve never been into long range killing of game. I go to enjoy the hunt, which means more to me than sniping at 1000yds. There’s a difference between hunting and killing. I’ve had several custom rifles that would do it, just never appealed to me. I had a custom 300H&H built on pre 64 Win 70 action, with a Douglas air gauged barrel and single sent trigger. Topped with 16x Redfield. Shot many groundhogs in the head at over 500 yds. I had similar rifles built in 30/06 and 7mag on 98 actions, only had Douglas heavy sporter barrels on them. They went 10lb with scopes, the 300H&H was over 12lb.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts