Long Lake 7/15/08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by legendaryyaj, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Started the day at 7, got up a bit too late.

I always wanted to fish long but never had boat access til recently. Today was such a waste. Missed 3 and lost 2. Where are the bass in this lake? Was it the clear blue skies with no clouds that scared them? My guess is yes.

Long looks like a great lake to practice some flippin and pitchin considering all the cover.

Is Long a good bass lake at all? It has such limited shore access that I figured it'd be a awesome bass lake.

2. It is pretty awsome, at times. Tough to figure out but once you get a handle on it, its much easier. Today would have been tough. I usually fish the docks on the east shore, scum mats, and deep weed edges this time of the year. Earlier and later in the year the channels and the pad areas. But check them all, ya never know! Good Luck!

3. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hey Legendary,
    I can't believe that you apparently haven't read any of the numerous posts on here about this terriffic, or better to use your word "awesome" lake...now it's your first time on it and you are forming opinions and want to know why it has frustrated your expertise? I think you should come on back and try it again...maybe you'll learn a little more from the experience next time. From the testimony you've presented in your own post it's obvious that the bass are there and you just aren't managing to put them in the boat (yet), off the cuff, that really doesn't sound too bad for a first trip out on a new lake to me. It's taken me a while to find my way around each of the different lakes that I fish and thankfully, I'm still learning abiout each if them. Better Luck next time.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/ Coventry

4. Sorry Woodson,

Did I come off negatively to you about Long? I dont think I did so in my post at all. I just said the day was a waste because of the given conditions. Going just about anywhere woulda been a waste.

There arent too many post about Long so I wouldnt know. No I didnt search either but if it was that great of a lake I shouldnt need to research it.

I will be fishing Long again when the conditions are better.

5. bassmanmark

bassmanmark Workin' is for Suckers

I'll be negative about Long, I don't like it much, looks better than it fishes.

6. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

S'okay Legendary,
    Yeah, try it again, I know that I've had rough days in lots of places...you can learn to catch a couple on the worst days when you come to know the lake a little better. Long is probably my favorite lake, as Lakes Louie was saying, it can be tough to fish but there is something there for everyone, and, there are good chances of locking into a lunker in there too. I know it seems that there are places to catch greater numbers of smaller fish...but you stand a chance to get into some good ones here. I fish the heavy cover, pads, and the channels, the Tusc and the main lake too...don't forget the deadfall...lots of places there to find some action. My apologies to you too.
    I didn't want to come off wrong either...hope to see you out there.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

7. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

For what it is worth I've caught a limit on Long in less that 10 minutes, including two 3 pounders. I've also fished Long and got :S

As a general rule I'm a finesse fisherman but this probably isn't the best approach to Long.

Buick

8. I mainly fish heavy cover too and hit a lot of the pads and channels with no success.

I dont blame Long Lake at all. I just gave a report on it and that was it.

It seems rule of thumb for bass fishing is not to fish on clear blue skies and when the wind is blowing from the NE. I dont know how much truth is to it but it seems to hold true. I wouldnt say so much as to dont fish, but it's harder to catch fish on those kind of days according to what ive read and experienced so far.

From what it seems, you cant go wrong with finesse no matter the conditions.

If im out, I'll be on the ever famous Sea Eagle FoldCat inflatable Pontoon that you see in the mags.

9. Our bass club 5 fish limit record was caught -this year-June 29 at Long Lake----------18.54#'s!!! Long IS AWESOME! Can't figure it out in one dat though. Keep your head up Legendary, that was a good first day out with those conditions. One day I can whack'em there, and the next one fish. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching!!