Long Lake 4/12/08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Robert Woodson, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Bass and a Bluegill...two bits!!!
    Weather looked rough, but the fish gotta deal with it too...I'd seen one small boat on long early...when I got on the lake there were two of us in the lot. had some trouble with an old 100SX Humminbird I just bow mouted from the trolling motor (false depth readings and showing no bottom...any advice?) at any rate, when I got to fishing, I headed back up the Tusc. to cut the wind. I only worked three artificials, a Texas rigged 4' Berkely Blue Fleck Twstertail, 3/8 oz. White Red-Eye Spinnerbait with a white trailer, and, winner of the day...my Jointed Lucky Craft MR...fish had chewed the tail feathers off of it last time so I took a rubber band and added a new red tail feather cluster. A little 14" hit that Lucky Craft so hard, and so agressively, that for a minute I thought I had a four pounder on...he really wanted a piece of it!!! Maybe watching that red tail fired him up.

[​IMG]

I tied off the boat on a bend in the river and tried some live baits too...no signifigant action, no Crappie, Bass, or Channels, but took a couple 7-8" Bluegill off the bottom on crawlers...then a couple younger guys came back up in there and as I was warning them they grounded out on an inside curve and turned my fishing hole into chocolate pudding trying to bull their way out...lucky that they still had a prop...turned around smiling all the time and churned up and oxygenated the other end of the space I'd been fishing real real good to boot!!! After fishing a minute a little further up they took off full speed up the Tusc. leaving me thinking I'd likely find parts of them decorating submerged structure on the way back out...but no such luck (LOL)... I called it a day and fished that Spinnerbait on an eight foot rod in the rain on the way out, all told about 3 1/2-4 hours I consider well spent. Gotta love those "Hot Hands" packets!
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron,
    Portage Lakes/ Coventry

2. I was the burgundy Triton you saw out there!
    I started about a half hour before you arrived and left around 5:30.
    Got six with the biggest about 3 1/2lb., all on a big jerkbait.

Off to Portage now to spend the rest of this cold wet Sunday!

3. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hey Cull'in,
    I was curious, thanks for the response.
    I saw that you were still on when I got off the lake...I had to be someplace, so I left a bit early...glad you did so well...you looked like you were sticking to business...good luck today, may see you there, I'll be heading out this afternoon probably.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry