Long Lake 3/16

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cheezemm2, Mar 17, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Took the kayak out in the flurries...trolled some twister tails around and dunked some chicken live and bluegill heads. Nothing happening...

Paddled up to where the Tusc. comes in and the current was still flowing pretty good. After the high water, it looks like I'm going to need to take out about 30 trash bags and pick up the banks!

Waterbirds everywhere! Some interesting ducks...

Ice was all pushed to one side due to the wind...Long will be fully open soon:D

2. I bet it was nice to get out. Hopefully the weather will turn soon. How do you usually do with cats in Long Lake?

3. dfox

dfox

Ive wondered about setting up my yak to troll a jig and crawler or similar bait. Any advice? I love the kayak for a quick fishing fix. I usually sneak around the weed beds throwing buzz baits, obviously that season is not quite here.

4. cheezemm2

I will shoot you both a pm when I have some more free time:)

5. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hey Fellas,
    I'll be looking for you out there...Long will definitely be open soon. I've been on Long Lake early a lot of times...(had canoe on the Kiwannis channel to ice lock at the the main lake last week)...just a warning to anybody who'll try it to be cautious and watch for winds and drifting pack ice...I nearly got closed in at the mouth of the Tusc one year, so keep a weather eye on whats going on around while you are out there fishing.
    Good Fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

6. howdog

howdog Overrated since 80'

We hit long on Saturday 3/15. Some ice, but you could make it across the lake. We only ended up with 1 cat, came on a pinman/waxworm. That was interesting..Thought we had a state record gill on...

7. cheezemm2

This is actually a very good point. You do need to be aware of which way the ice is moving, esp. if in a smaller craft. Even if the wind isn't supposed to change directions, keep an eye on the water/weather or you may end up looking like the titanic!

8. Skeem

Skeem Killing Threads Since 06'

Drove past last night. Very little ice/slush left. Hope to try it again on Sat. But, I don't know where to start the crappie search. First spring with a boat. Any help would be great.

Howdog,
    The ice we fished thru Sat. was gone Sun. Also, got the fish finder working.

Skeem