close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lock on stand with ratchet straps

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by lg_mouth, Nov 19, 2007.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

I purchased a King Kong Lounger and was anxious to get it in the tree, problem was the strap would not "cam" itself tight to the tree. I tried numerous times and kept checking the booklet to make sure I was doing it right. I was curious if any lock on type stands come with ratchet straps or do they all come with those cinch type straps? Thanks.

Lg_mouth

2. Many stands will have a cinching strap to draw tight. This does not go nearly as tight as a ratchet style but if you draw it tight BEFORE dropping the platform it then tightens up significantly because the platform push away at the bottom. Most quality stands end up very stable once this is done.

3. lg_mouth

...but it would just slide down when I lower the platform. The strap was very glossy and slick. I am sure I was doing right.

Would there be a problem switching out the cinch strap for a ratchet?

Lg_mouth

4. It sounds like you had it on a slick bark tree. I have had them try to slide just a bit but never to the point you describe. I wouldn't see it being a problem switching it out.

5. I would say it is either the bark or you didn't have it tight enough before lowering the platform. I had one similar (until it was stolen from a tree 3 weeks ago)....it worked like a champ. Just folded the base up tight and cranked as hard as possible on the strap, then lowered the base and got on....worked every tree I had it in.

I did add another ratchet strap in addition just to give me the warm fuzzy feeling of security.

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

Gorilla stands are some of the cheapest on the market. If it was me I would attach 2 AMERICAN MADE ratchet strap. I wouldn't even think twice about changing out the cinch strap.

7. lg_mouth

Thanks for the info guys. I returned the stand to Wal Mart, but will be on the lookout for a deal on another and then just go ahead and buy a heavy duty ratchet strap and use it.

Lg_mouth

8. I bought a Silverback maybe 5 years ago and have used it quite often. I have never had any problem with the slippage. There was no ratchet on the strap but it snugs up pretty easily with the supplied strap and locks tight when the seat is down. I would think it was either a slippery tree or perhaps you had it on a spot on the tree where a know or something caused it to be just a bit wider at the spot where you tightened it. Then once it slipped down just a bit it had extra slop. Other than that I can't think of a reason why my Silverback would give me a problem such as that. Overall I have been very pleased with my Silverback. I have never been one to drop money for high priced stands so I don't really have any basis to compare them to the higher priced items but I would recommend them without hesitation.

9. Make sure you don't have the strap backwards. It sounds like your pulling apart the locking feature instead of drawing it tightly shut.

10. lg_mouth

Yeah, I thought that too, but the buckle was on the outside so I could pull on the strap to tighten it.

lg_mouth

11. May be a stupid question but is the strap going in the right side of the cam buckle, if you put it in the wrong side it will just slip when pulled apart but will need the buckle open to tighten, seen someone do that before, :eek: