close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Location for kids outing?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WPM, Jun 23, 2008.

1. WPM

WPM

I've signed up to "guide" a trip for a volunteer group that takes city kids into the outdoors. It will be a group of about 14 10 to 15 year olds and most have never fished at all.
    I'm trying to think of a place with plenty of easy, safe shore access, that won't be overly crowded on a Saturday (July 12) and will provide a good chance to catch something - even tiny 'gills, as long as we can be sure of some action.
    I've been thinking that Swine Creek Park outside Middlefield fits the bill, but then I realized that I hadn't checked the resource that has given me so many good ideas over the last few years - OGF, of course.
    So, any ideas? I've only been thinking about public spots, but I'm sure there's some private or semi-private places that would be good. I'm willing to do all the leg work to check places out.
    This is my first time doing something like this and I want to do it right, so any general suggestions would also be appreciated.

WPM

2. call the ODNR office in Akron. They have some ponds open to kids only fishing that would probably be perfect

3. I think Little Turtle Pond near Firestone is open to kids 16 or younger to fish.

4. Lock 4 in Canal Fulton is also a pretty nice area

5. even try to find a large farm pond those can be safe and have great fishing.

6. WPM

WPM

Thanks for the ideas - I'll check them out.
    I love the idea of a farm pond, but the few to which I have access wouldn't work.
    Another place I thought of is the Bearstown Park in Geauga county - has anyone been there recently?

WPM

7. greetings

the ohio department of wildlife district 3 youth fishing area in Akron ohio is the best area you will find. I host a kids fishing event every year and this area is by far the best you will find. They will supply all the poles and bait. all you have to do is show up. It is worth the drive and they will catch alot of fish( Panfish, big catfish,). If you need more info or any help let me know.
    Jim Jones

8. WPM

WPM

It turns out that the folks in this group don't really want to travel very far, so it looks like we're headed for Shadow Lake in the Chagrin Reservation of the Metro Parks. Anybody have any experience there?
    I'd appreciate any tips on species and methods that would help get these kids some fish.
    I have looked at the Metro Parks site, but their info is pretty general.

WPM