close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Local Trib Fishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BigSmallieMike, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Left work early today to take Dad to the airport and called in with back problems - as in, I didn't want to go back!
    Grabbed the fly rod and hit a local trib for some small water fishing. I really love the way they hit the fly when they're feeling mean - nothing is more exciting than fighting a ticked off smallie in on a lightweight fly rod. Posted the nicest fish on the day - you may recognize the spot by the feature in the background.
    I tend to switch between the spinning outfit and the fly rod as the mood and conditions (wind, available time, type of water) strike me. Does anyone else play both instruments? Thoughts on deciding between the two? Any particular preference given the time of year?

Attached Files:

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I use both, but primarily the spinning rod. I like using the fly rod in the summer with poppers, often near or after dark. My cast isn't all that great, so if the area is tight, I don't even try the fly rod. I also tend to take it on trips along with the spinning gear and at least break it out once while I'm there. I guess that's mainly because I'll only fish the water I'm visiting a few times, so I work it while I can :)

I think my decision is based primarily on experience and comfort. I've used a fly rod for almost 20 years on this same occasional basis. I've never really become confident with it, so if I want to be sure to catch fish, I use what I know best - spinning rods. I suppose if I planned a weekend trip and ONLY took the fly rod, I'd gain a lot of confidence and good experience which might chance my decisions more often...

CW

3. If that is the same spot that I think it is I have caught some nice smallies right there too. I use both the fly rod and spinning. I think the flyrod is more fun but is not good to use in tight spaces.
    Nice fish!

4. I also enjoy the fly rod. I've caught more fish on a fly rod than anything else I have. But most are smaller, although I have landed a few 4lb large mouth. I also like the poppers and top water, it's a thrill to see the strike. So CW, where are you buying your poppers? They are getting quite expensive when you can find them. I've looked for material to make them but can't find the forms. And no, didn't recognize the land mark in the background of the fish pic, but nice fish.

5. rblake

rblake What?

6. creekwalker

Bass Pro, but I've got so many of them and use them so little, that I'm probably supplied for 10 years :) I've even got some old deer hair poppers I tied from high school! I don't tie them anymore, but I'm sure there are many online places to get started. Bass Pro even has some stuff. You might also try A&N in Milford. Steve can probably get you hooked up with what you need or at least point you in the right direction (he goes by sevenx on here, he might also weigh in on this one).

7. steve has lots of bass poppers, divers, and sneaky peats in the shop
    personally i have tried tying my own deer hair poppers, divers, mice ect. they work well but arn't as pretty as the ones you buy. lots of places carry foam bodies for poppers and they are easy to make, i dont know what they cost

8. I've only used a flyrod a couple times when I was a kid, but I'm really interested in starting up. That would be a great fight with a smallie on the other end. Any suggestions on gear to start up with? What flies work best for smallmouth or crappie?

9. creekwalker

Smallmouthjunky, check a few other threads over in the fly fishing forum, plenty of info there on what to start with....vastly different opinions of course, but plenty of info. Same for smallmouth flies...in fact I think there was a thread on this very topic.

CW

10. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

I'm a lead guitar player by trade but play other instruments as well and same w/ fishing; flyfishing is what I do although I can pick up other gear and handle it well but just never acually fish them more'n a few casts before I go back to the flyrod. Like creekcrawler said,"what you're comfortable w/."
    I rarely fish topwater or use floating lines. It can be fun and I do in specific instances but the vast majority of my stuff is sinking lines. A clear intermediate sinking line is my #1 go-to line for warmer weather. I use fast sinking sink tips of at least 15' a lot too and a full sinking type 7 or 8(X-fast sink,tungsten coated) on the OR...I was hittin almost 30' deep this past week w/ it and 12-18 FOW was std fishing depth for me that day so don't limit yourself by using a floater.It can explain the difference between big and small fish and catching and not catching.
    A moderate-fast action rod of 9-10' for a 6wt line is perfect for our area and I've landed fish in the 30+lb range(carp and salmon) on 6 wts(although heavier woulda been better it's what I was fishing when I hooked 'em).I use the 6 on everything local from stripes to panfish but I also have a coupla 7 wts that I work into the local rotation on occaision,esp for bigger water/flies or windy conditions.
    Getting confidant w/ the flyrod is a matter of leaving the hardware at home and making yourself stick to the flyrod for a few trips to make yourself confidant w/ it.
    Larger streamers tied w/ rabbit strips and deerhair heads or weighted eye are a good place to start,think large bait or,mid-may to mid august(their active season),crawfish.Small flies and floating line catch small fish.TC1

11. Thanks guys for all the posts and good info. rblake, thanks for the link, sure looks like a dandy with good prices too. My son does some fly tying and jib building and he'll really like it. And thanks also CW for your info, I'll check it out, hope we cross paths one day flying. Junky, if you like small mouth fishing, fly fishing you'll like also, just like Tall 1 says, only takes some doing it to catch on, and like I said, I've caught more on a fly rod than anything else I have. I like the creek wading off of main rivers, produces some very nice smallies, along with several other species. Tall 1, you're right, the sinking stuff works quite well also, just takes more time to master the casting and bringing it from under. I do enjoy the sinking stuff on the Mad River fishing for the trout, and they are fighters too. And I also do some fly fishing from the bow of my boat different times of the year. When the flies get really heavy you can fly fish about anywhere there's fish. I'll have to try the OR for the deeper heavier stuff. Thanks again guys for the good posts.