Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
Is it correct to have to pay 2 local income taxes - one for where you live, and one for where you work?
[/COLOR]
Also, would you think it legal for a fire department to be pushing a levy - that has already failed once - and the fire chief and firemen to be threatening the community with "if you don't vote for this,we may not be able to save your lives" or "you might as well vote for this, because if it fails, your insurance price will go up," or "If you don't want this to go thru, move!"?

My goodness, we're looking at our school district tax to be doubled (if it passes), our fire levy to double if it passes, and another levy that will continue stuffing the coffers of our small town.

Just ranting about taxes, and tired of being told to tighten our belts while the municipalities continue to want to run on a full budget and purchase new stuff all the time.

·
Registered
16,930 Posts
Yes if you live in a community with income tax and work in a location with income tax, you get to pay tax although most resident cities give you partial credit for workplace taxes.

It is surprising with the decreases in population. the cities should be enperiencing less demands on their services but....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Apparently several years ago, the tax laws were changed, or they may have always been that way, but towns don't have to provided credits if they don't want to.
The town I lived in was so small, they only had a gas station, a hair salon, and an autoshop, but instituted a local income tax with no credits. Since I, of course worked in the next town over, had a huge tax bill at the end of the year. They took the taxes out where I worked, and then I had to pay the town I lived in almost twice as much.
Though they suddenly started getting nearly three quarters of a million in tax revenue they'd never had, we lost the police, the fire department, and never got all the promised street repairs.
I moved to the same city I work in shortly thereafter.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
Also, would you think it legal for a fire department to be pushing a levy - that has already failed once - and the fire chief and firemen to be threatening the community with "if you don't vote for this,we may not be able to save your lives" or "you might as well vote for this, because if it fails, your insurance price will go up," or "If you don't want this to go thru, move!"?

Yep, I would and do support the Fire Dept as well as the Police Dept. levy's.
And YES your insurance rates would go much higher. Without proper fire protection you would pay at least 2 and in most cases 3 times the rate you pay now. That's you could even get insurance. Simple solution is if you don't like paying for your city, or townships protection move out in the country where you have no protection. Then when your house catches on fire, someone breaks into your home or god forbid you or a family members has a heart attack you'll wish you paid those taxes and be thankful you had fire fighters who are trained to save lives not just take you to the hospital, ( if you'd even make it)
Don't vote for the levy, that's your right, but also DON"T complain when those vital services are cut or eliminated.
Dragon said it well, don't support, and lose what you have.

Also, and I will quote you here-- "Just ranting about taxes, and tired of being told to tighten our belts while the municipalities continue to want to run on a full budget and purchase new stuff all the time.'

Where do you live where they buy new stuff all the time and have a full budget??? You must live on Mars, because since we got a new Governor, PLUS THE GOVERMENT CUTS WE HAVE HAD TO LIVE WITH, no City or any other municipal goverment in this State has a "Full budget" better go check for yourself if you really believe this. Your facts are totally wrong.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts

Yep, I would and do support the Fire Dept as well as the Police Dept. levy's.
And YES your insurance rates would go much higher. Without proper fire protection you would pay at least 2 and in most cases 3 times the rate you pay now. That's you could even get insurance. Simple solution is if you don't like paying for your city, or townships protection move out in the country where you have no protection. Then when your house catches on fire, someone breaks into your home or god forbid you or a family members has a heart attack you'll wish you paid those taxes and be thankful you had fire fighters who are trained to save lives not just take you to the hospital, ( if you'd even make it)
Don't vote for the levy, that's your right, but also DON"T complain when those vital services are cut or eliminated.
Dragon said it well, don't support, and lose what you have.

Also, and I will quote you here-- "Just ranting about taxes, and tired of being told to tighten our belts while the municipalities continue to want to run on a full budget and purchase new stuff all the time.'

Where do you live where they buy new stuff all the time and have a full budget??? You must live on Mars, because since we got a new Governor, PLUS THE GOVERMENT CUTS WE HAVE HAD TO LIVE WITH, no City or any other municipal goverment in this State has a "Full budget" better go check for yourself if you really believe this. Your faxs are totally wrong.
Amen. Yes, it is legal: it's called free speech, and the right to vote.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
Well put Dale.
If you want the services, they come at a cost.
I don't seem to remember people complaining about their taxes when the economy was better, and taxes didn't create this economy.
I vote for the what is good for my family, and my community, always have, always will.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Um, Dale, lol, thanks for the compliment, but that wasn't really what I was saying.
That town never had levies for the fire department or police, but always had them...until they started getting tax revenue. Then they got rid of them, even though we were paying the taxes to the city.
I would have voted for the fire department or a police levy, but never got the vote on the city tax thing at all. Nor were levy's for the police or fire on the ballot that I know of.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
Where do you live where they buy new stuff all the time and have a full budget??? You must live on Mars, because since we got a new Governor, PLUS THE GOVERMENT CUTS WE HAVE HAD TO LIVE WITH, no City or any other municipal goverment in this State has a "Full budget" better go check for yourself if you really believe this. Your faxs are totally wrong.

TOS, no politics please!
Is this because for far too long every city or municipality was spending money they didn't have? And now the Fed's pulled the nip*!e away!

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
well i can say that MOST fire departments(as well as most other city service departments) are operating at a bare bones budget and staffing level.we are currently operating fire/rescue and ems services with a daily average of 4 personnel on duty.it definately stretches us thin as paper.it simply results in a drop in the level of services that are provided to the citizens.levies are simply a way for the citizens to decide on the level of police,fire and publics services that they would like to recieve.the good part about fire or safety levys are that the citizens know and can see where their money is going.but,having the choice is a very good thing!

·
13,432 Posts
TOS, no politics please!
Is this because for far too long every city or municipality was spending money they didn't have? And now the Fed's pulled the nip*!e away!
No politics intended. The Governor cut spending as well as the Government, that's facts not political at all. I was just stating that there has been cuts since we have had changes to our state and the local governments are taking massive hits, the only way they can continue to operate is to "ASK" for a tax increase.
You have the right to vote either to support or not support. If services are cut then the people that vote against money to operate these services have no one to blame but themselves when they cut staffing, or service.
As someone that worked for the Fire Department for over 28 years I never saw " new equipment and full budgets" all the time. We operated with in our alloted budgets period. What other branches of the local government did with their budgets I had no idea. I do know that when they had to make cuts they took money from our budget at times to cover other cost. The cost to operate a fire department isn't cheap, when you pay between $500,000 and $1,000,000 for a fully loaded truck ready to use. . Remember these last at least 15-20 years, and operate 24 hours a day. It isn't like they put them in a garage and only use them when they want to. If it saves someones house or a life, I think that's a cheap price to pay for your safety.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
The thing about our fire department is that we are losing a huge contract with a state prison, that paid about 1/2 of our departmental bills - but they also utilized about 1/2 of our runs, so that will be a wash - and much less wear and tear on our vehicles (which we've gotten all new equipment in the past 3 years), etc. Our department is not going anywhere, it will still be there, just operating with 1 less fireman per shift. They are asking for a HUGE additional levy. One big complaint that almost all of our community has is that the chief lives 50+ miles away, and drives a township provided vehicle home and back every day. A fully decked out Expedition that I'm sure gets great gas mileage, especially considering his NASCAR style of leadfoot driving. When he was hired, he signed a contract stating he would move within 15 minutes of the department (for emergency purposes & to limit wear and tear on said taxpayer provided vehicle). Well, he's also an attorney - and filed suit against that clause once he got in. Couple that with the fact that our firemen that have traditionally done the upkeep, oil changes, filter changes on compressors, etc etc are now saying it's not "in their contract (union)" and we are now paying for those services that were traditionally done by the employees that were already there on staff during the day. We have always had a great department, but to be quite honest, a huge number of citizens are basically outraged with the chief, and have stated that this will only pass if he leaves.
[/COLOR]
So no, our insurance will not go up much, if any, with this failing, we're still within X miles of said fire department and within X feet of fire hydrant. In our case, it's a scare tactic they're using. This is confirmed with State Farm and Grange so far. I will be contacting a couple more tomorrow to see what they have to say as well before I refute them face to face in a public forum.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well put Dale.
If you want the services, they come at a cost.
I don't seem to remember people complaining about their taxes when the economy was better, and taxes didn't create this economy.
I vote for the what is good for my family, and my community, always have, always will.
I dont mind living in the city because of the fast response time of the emergency services..Most local levies also seem to just be pennies added onto the current rates...But I would never let a city hold my money hostage for emergency services if it was alot of money..Like you said,they come at a cost...But many people are putting their foot down these days..Alot of it seems to stem from that fact that the cities across the state were getting while the getting was good...Then a rainy day came along..It hasn't left in years...Cities splurged..And once again the tax payers are left asking how and why is the money is gone?..At some point in time, the city must be held accountable...As in sbreech's case,thats a tough one...A department full of guys that would rather make people spend money on maintenance any 11 year old boy is capable of doing, and a fire chief that thumbed the eyes of the taxpayers, just sounds like they need to clean house..They need to get people in their who deserve the job and are truly there for the people....

·
13,432 Posts
As in sbreech's case,thats a tough one...A department full of guys that would rather make people spend money on maintenance any 11 year old boy is capable of doing, and a fire chief that thumbed the eyes of the taxpayers, just sounds like they need to clean house..They need to get people in their who deserve the job and are truly there for the people....

Very well put Iraqvet. That kind of threats shouldn't be allowed. The Fire Dept in question is a "small" department by most standards, and is ran by trustees. In most cases the trustees have no ideawhat it takes to properly staff and run a department. The Fire Chief may in deed need to retire if he is threatening the citizens. I did read where they are losing their contract with the prison and that would take a large chunk of their income.
That being said the cost to operate the department is still expensive. Sbreech
your insurance can still go up if they cut services. There is a minimum staffing that the State insurance companys require, and if that number drops the cost of insurance does go up. I hope they get something settled for your safety. I live in Norwich Twp. ( Hilliard area) and pay very high taxes. I did eread the Fire Dept will be asking for a renewal or an increase, and if they do I will support that increase. The school system is also asking for another increase, and I will fight to get that voted down, again. It's time the school administration stops spending our taxes on these $38,000,000 school and $5,000,000 football fields that have astro turf fields, and get back to educating the kids in the district.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For our FD, it will take the chief to quit, NOT to retire. He's pretty young. And our school district asking to double our income tax - YOWSER! This comes just 1 year after they finished building one of those multi-million-dollar schools (they bulldozed all 3 of our elementaries to build 3 new ones that would each hold 30 more students than the old - go figure!). Average class size is like 19 kids, with each class having a teachers aid. I mean seriously? I went to the same district, and we had 29+ kids per classroom - no teacher's aid. I have the class pictures to show these class sizes. Why 2 staff for 19 kids is way beyond me. I'm also a huge advocate for pay-to-play sports. I have a kid, and that would cost me more, but my child is my responsibility, especially for her extracurricular activities. There is no way in hades that I would push for a tax on the elderly and folks with no kids so I didn't have to pay the full price for my child to play her sports or ride a bus.

Did I mention that my community has a very nice wealthier section that was complaining that their road had a few rust spots that were "unsightly" and pushed the town council to get all of their roads repaved? No pot holes, no damage, rust spots. Other roads in the town look like mortars have landed...

I should just throw in my hat. I'm going fishing for a while! Ain't vacation (staycation) grande! :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont mind living in the city because of the fast response time of the emergency services.....
I found the exact opposite to be true.

When I lived in Akron, I felt that police and EMS response time was slower than where it is for me now, which is New Franklin. My only explanation would be that because Akron is such a larger area with so many more people - and accordingly, more events that needed these services - that it took them longer to respond.

NF's response with Police, Fire and Ambulance is fantastic, IMO.

The only time I noticed a slow response time was when we had a tree come down across the street from our house, and it fell across both lanes of S. Main Street - one side, the lane heading north, was a blind hill and drivers were in danger of not being able to see it in time, so a neighbor and myself went out and directed traffic until the police arrived, which was about a half hour - then again it was during a serious wind storm and trees and power lines were coming down everywhere, so they definitely had their hands full.

But other than that, emergency services response time is very quick.

I fell off my roof once while cleaning gutters and the wife called EMS -both they and a police car were there in about 5 minutes, tops.

Police response is also very fast. I called them one night when I thought I saw people moving around with flashlights in a vacant house across the street, and they were there within about 3 minutes.

I don't mind paying for these services, and I even vote in favor of Manchester School Levies when they come up, and I don't even have any kids. But, I believe that schools are an integral part of the community, so I vote for it, also.

I only wish ODNR would respond as quick when I call to turn in someone keeping too many fish or fish that aren't big enough to keep. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most important to find out why the shortage. This day and age we need to be the watch dogs for the coffers. The state is cutting a huge amount of money to all counties of Ohio. This is what happens when towns that needed money from the state for service will no longer have it. Other places had so much carry over they would use the state money for service and lump regular income into the general fund. I do not agree with the cuts and how they happened. The state should have looked each counties amount of carry over and cut from the highest amount down. Good luck...no... the fire dept wont ever not becon the call... but if they cant maintain staffing since that money is gone you may end up waiting like Cleveland residents do for help from EMS....in upwards of over 40 minutes...Cleveland has had far to few squads on the road for years.....same old story..:B:D

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
i think that in the end,Scioto twp. residents will get shortchanged(as will the prison) when it comes to the level of service that the department will provide.less manning is never a good thing in the fire service.when it comes to emergency services,you can't have good and cheap at the same time.by cheap i'm not talking salaries,i'm talking proper staffing levels,vehicles and equipment.where peoples safety and lives are concerned,corners should not be cut.i would just about bet that if the prison goes with a private ems service,the 2nd contract will cost far more that the first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.