Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up a local flow this afternoon for three hours. Flow was kinda high, stained, but in decent shape considering the rain we just got. Caught 3 smallmouths, none over 12 inches. All were about 10 inches and pretty fat compared to the dink smallies you catch in very public scioto waters.

Hooked into two carp on wee craw, biggest around 20 inches, caught a baby carp around 12 inches. Biggest carp I released floated away belly up, not sure what happened with it, as it was a quick catch and release, it never left the water.

All smallmouths were caught on a mini-rapala surface diver in a blue gill pattern. Tried twister tail 3 inch grubs 1/8 oz heads, skunked. Same on spinner baits and top water. All fish were hitting just off the surface by any cover (grass/trees/exposed rocks), flow didn't really matter when it came to steady action. which caught me by surprise.

Took home 5 rock bass around 8 inches for lunch/early dinner, caught about 10 rock bass total, none under 6 inches all on the wee craw. They were good, and the rock bass were on fire today. I love catching them.

Released all others.

It was my first trip to this area in about ten years, was amazed of the junk I picked up considering the rural area I was fishing. Took home 2 trash bags full of cans, containers, and misc trash after I got done fishing, including a nice victoria secret bra that was a 36c. Someone was having fun while fishing.

sorry no pics. wife won't let me take out the new digital camera, as last year I ruined our old camera when I took a dive while wading.

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
Wow, I thought the creeks would be raging after that crazy stuff that rolled through last night. I know a lot of guys like when the river is up, but my experience has been much better when water levels are normal.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it looked a lot worse than what it was. Some fast moving area's I had to get out and walk pass the currents. If I hadn't waded a lot in my life, I would have passed it up today. I had time to burn, so I figured what's the worse, all I could do is maybe die. lol

I only fished area's I knew that was shallow. With the water up, risking fishing new area's would be risky.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Maybe the rain helped; I was skunked yesterday on that flow. BUT I was in a more populated area and I didn't vary lures much; only fished just over an hour before I figured I'd better get out of there (storm). I was using 1/16 with a white grub & also pumpkinseed and on pole #2 I had a Rebel Craw. I think it was too big. I did start getting a few nibbles on the grub below some rip rap just before I was forced to leave. Earlier I was right in the middle of a school of carp. I didn't really know what to throw and didn't feel like changing up lures too much; they had no interest in what I was throwing.
Hopefully the fishing will be nice this weekend after a day for the water to normalize. Hitting Darby tomorrow.

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
I'm going to hold out unitl Sunday. I wanted to go Sat, but I don't like the look of the water levels. Still to high for me at this point. Hoping no storms for Sat. If we do get rain, I'm going to head up North further to a flow that is not affected as much by the heavy rain and do some exploring.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to hold out unitl Sunday. I wanted to go Sat, but I don't like the look of the water levels. Still to high for me at this point. Hoping no storms for Sat. If we do get rain, I'm going to head up North further to a flow that is not affected as much by the heavy rain and do some exploring.
count me in. I don't care what flow, I'm down. I sent you a pm. I'm hitting up some private ponds saturday for some panfish. Fun times

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe the rain helped; I was skunked yesterday on that flow.
I fished maybe 200 feet downstream from the nearest rip rap . Near any currents, it was flowing to fast to even really stand. I mostly fished in the bends of the river where during normal pool it would be dead still and dead water.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
was at highbanks metro park seining at the local flow that rhymes with Jumanji. Then the park ranger said it was too high to be seining(8th graders). We did get some minnows and crawdads and dragonfly larvae though. Monday we'll compare the water sample results from that flow that rhymes with Jumanji at Highbanks, at OSU campus, and mirror lake.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I wish I had a seign earlier this week my Son and I were fishing a spot that had so many shad around it they were almost jumping on the bank,water is still a little high for me as well, I caught more channels in high water than anything.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
I fished maybe 200 feet downstream from the nearest rip rap . Near any currents, it was flowing to fast to even really stand. I mostly fished in the bends of the river where during normal pool it would be dead still and dead water.
You know I've often wondered if that's what I should be doing when it's higher like that. Thank you for that - I'm going to try to move down a little next time I'm on higher faster water.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know I've often wondered if that's what I should be doing when it's higher like that. Thank you for that - I'm going to try to move down a little next time I'm on higher faster water.
that method worked again today. I'll post a report later tonight with pics. No fish tight at the currents today on the scioto. Most was just at the very very end of the tail waters in the direct middle of the river, or off of grassy dead spots from the current.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you compare rockbass as to in taste?
it's a weird meat. It's tough like a Largemouth's meat, but still sweet like a panfish fillet. It taste like 90% panfish, with 10% of a grassy/gamey taste. When it comes down to it, I panfry my panfish so they all taste kinda the same with my bomb homemade batter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts