close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lmr

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Got another hybrid today,25.5",almost 7 lbs. It ran out to midriver after a gentle take as I drifted the fly through a bankside pocket.It then duked it out there for a while,racing back and forth and head thumping in the heavy current,made me grateful for the 14 lb test tippet I had.Took off on a run another 100' farher down and settled in to bulldogging the current before I could turn it's head and bring it into the shallows for a quick couple pics. It was holding right up in the fast water at daybreak,5' from the bank behind a rock breaking the current using a 4" shad imitation on a 1/0 hook.
    I've had better luck getting a solid hookset using a finer wire hook than heavy wire. Tying my flies on Owner 5100 worm hooks has made a difference in my hookup/landing rate w/ these fish vs the heavy saltwater hooks I was using initially. The tough mouth is harder to get a set on w/ a thick wire hook.
    The LMR is still pretty warm even though we've had some cool nights. The volume in Sept has been 30-35% more than for the same time last year. I'd've thought it would help fish come in and upriver but I just have'nt seen the #'s I did last yr at this time. Ditto for the sauger fishing. This time last yr they were jumping outa the water chasing bait and I have'nt gotten one in three trips down to the LMR,TC1

2. fisharder

fisharder fisharder

Fly fishing can be a lot of work at times but sounds like it worked for you.Nice fish and good post also.

3. Tall cool one

A lot of guys make it harder/more complicated than it needs to be. I like to keep it simple,travel light and always use a sinking line,TC1

4. wildland01

wildland01 Hooked on the Fly

I hit the LMR this morning caught a couple small white bass, but no hybrids. I think I was a little too late into the day. However, while fishing a nice run I ended up snagging several small baitfish (shiners?), so maybe they are starting to move into the tribs...? I also ended up catching my first catfish on the fly, a little channel about 14", so all in all not a bad morning on the river.

5. Great report, TC1, just got back from Lake Erie, first time out for walleye, mama likes walleye better than wiper! ;)
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds like daybreak and after sundown.........
    LMJ

6. Tall cool one

Wildland,were they broadsided(shad?) or skinny fish? The shad are what we're looking for.If they were that thick you were snagging them go back again earlier to get the stripes,they were probably there,just too bright.They got a vampire streak in them,hate the sun.
    LMJ,same place as where I saw you,same pocket water.Hope ya got into a bunch of wallygators for the B'day fishfry,TC1

7. Skeeters were biting last night!
    Ankles covered w/welts, snagged a cat, still took drag, and one small yearling wiper.
    I need to access from the side you came from, TC1, stay longer w/out worrying about getting locked in. ;)
    LMJ

8. wildland01

TC1,

They were definitely not shad, all were slim bodied like a shiner. But I will try that whole again earlier in the morning. Thanks for the informative posts.

9. throw tiny white streamers, those are probably small skipjack, 4-5in with a big mouth. the hybrids are slow right now, if you know where they are and what to catch them on you may get one evey night or two if you fish every night, hard. wildland, fish black bunny flies for smallies and then fish dry flies to rising fish, these are mooneye and they are a blast. give it a few weeks and the hybrids will move in if the conditions get right. jeff, it doesnt matter what side your on in that spot, most of the ones I catch are when I throw to the side you fish it from. there where some a few fish in a couple weeks ago but I think they all went out on stringers, I was catching the same fish over and over for a while.....

10. RK, gotcha, nada last night, 2.5" powerbait on 1/0 hook, no weight, drifting fast and holes/eddys.
    LMJ

11. wildland01

RK, thanks for the advice. I read somewhere else about the mooneyes, mentioned throwing caddis at them. What are they rising to though, an actual hatch of some kind?

12. yes, there have been blizzard hatches of caddis in the late evenings in the right spots for the past few weeks, and some baetis and cahills coming off, so they are actually eating caddis and mayflies, they behave much like trout when they feed, just not as picky.