close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR today

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishinjim, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Went out at the crack of dawn today 6am for a couple of hours.
    Didn't get skunked but only managed to catch 1.
    Can anybody identify this fish?

Attached Files:

2. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Looks to be a sauger to me.

4. I just got back from the LMR myself and only fished for about 30 minutes.... Ended up with 6 smallmouth, 1 sauger, and 1 drum.. 3 of the smallies were very nice... but nothing huge... 14 -15 inches

5. If you don't mind me asking. What were you catching them on? Ronnie

6. in learning the river and techniques, I have started a fishing log where I keep track of where, when, and what. Hopefully, it'll reduce the guesswork and lighten my tackle load.

My objective is to be as successful as 1bad!

7. Definitely a Sauger. And what a delicious looking Sauger it is :D

* You can identify between the 2, by the dorsal and tail fins. Sauger have black speckled " dots " on the fins, and Saugeye have dark " bars, or stripes " on the dorsal fines. :)

8. I have been catching them on tubes and top water baits... gotta be selective on using each bait and where you are using each bait... for example i fished a top water yesturday with pretty good luck... water is stained, cooler day....also...when the water is a little murky the fish are somewhat more likely to be in shallower water..less light penetrates compared to clear water and can be very good fishing...

Fishinjim, i think keeping a log is a very good idea. I have every single fish logged that i have caught this year.. It isnt as detailed as i wanted it to be just because I got lazy... but in later years it helps to remember when the fish were spawning, when the water warmed enough in the winter/early spring to start catching fish ...I think that was a great point you made!

GL out there

9. went out tonight as well and ended up with 5 fish. 14.5 inches was the largest. Im starting to wonder why the river is so muddy!! there must be somekind of run off issue.... it was much clearer a month ago.... maybe because it was low so long...idk

10. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

1bad, nice job getting those smallies, I have a theory on the river conditions. Sedimentation being the #1 pollutant in the river right now from developement run off, because we have not had a major blow out this year at all to pick up and take allot of the sediment away there are still large deposits in the rive basin. Problem is the sed, keeps entering the water a little at a time and keeps the water dirty and slow to clear. I also think there have been allot of alge blooms in the slack water cause even more particulates in the river. This is my theory, you quys have any thought on this possibly being the problem. S

11. I actaully have the same exact theory.. and would be willing to bet on it...it hasnt really hurt the fishing tho... it's just a type of pollution that could potentially be detrimental to the future of the river in the years to come