close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR Today 8/5/07

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by LMRsmallmouth, Aug 5, 2007.

1. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Well, I haven't been posting much this year (for a number of reasons) but of course I still am fishing as much as possible, maybe 2 - 3 times a week on AVG. I was expecting this heat wave to shut the smallies down a bit but turns out I have had the best week of the year with today being the best day of the bunch. I caught 19 fish in just under 2.5 hours with 12 of them being caught in 1 good riffle in a 40 min period. Only had 1 fish under 12" today with 2 over 14" and 2 over 16" with the big fish of the day topping out at 17.5. I hope the bite stays hot over the next week or so as I have vacation coming up. Cant wait!!
    I lost 2 GIANT fish in the last week or so....one yesterday being about 20" which I got to fight in front of an audience of canoes/kayaks who hooped and hollered to add to my tension while fighting it and sharing in my pain as it spit the hook 5 feet from me. Unfortunately I have had a few brutes on the end of the line this year but haven't landed any OHIO smallies over 18" yet this year. I know the time is coming if I am only persistant. My 21" smallie last year came on the 24th of August. All in All it has been pretty good lately...I will post pics of the MONGO smallie as soon as I land her! Keep your eyes out fellas...it's coming!!

2. The wife and I did a float today and had a blast. Didn't keep count but we caught well over 30 smallies and 1 saugeye. My biggest two were 16". The wife pitched into a tree, I looked up and saw her line slowly moving upstream, hon, you might want to set that beer down and set the hook, she jerks and the rod doubles over, had it on for a min or two, didn't get a good look so not sure that it didn't have whiskers, but if it was a smallie, it was a pig. -Sporto

3. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice to here your out getting fish. I may sneek out today for an hour if I can break away from the shop. Afterall it is my day off. S

4. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

LMRsmallmouth - Congrats on a great day! Hope your 21" from last year is even bigger when you catch it again. If you don't mind my asking, what were they hitting on?

5. congrats on the fishing kevin... i got out last night with young whiskers and we did fairly well....he had two immense blow ups on his buzz bait... caught a few, and i was using a different baitt and caught 5. biggest at 16". GL out there

6. Good to see you post. I went last Sunday for about an hour with my wife. we caught a few lost a few and missed a few. Will be at the Greenbriar the week after Labor Day and need to practice up on the river smallies. Good luck on the big-un it's in there. CD