Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I believe ... I'll go fishing
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my daughter on the Little Miami this weekend for some SMB fishing and was wondering what lures are working well now? I imagine watermelon tubes or spinners would be the go to lures. How jigs, cranks, or poppers?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fish Whisperer

i have been using Little Bomber Square A lures all spring and summer. I have caught crappie, Smallmouth bass, Largemouth bass and Sunfish on these lures. i have atleast caught one of these each time out. I as well fish the LMR quite often, if i cant catch anything on all the other arsenal in my box, i pull this bait out, it never fails! my daughter has them on her pole to. if nothing bites, atleast it provides a little fun for her to watch and play with. alot of action in this little bait.

they are very cheap to boot too :). i pick them up at BPS for $3.99 each. these baits swim to 0-3ft max. this works for me cause the LMR where i fish is shallow to begin with. (they also sell them at Dicks Sporting Goods, price im not sure.

hope this helps.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_61257_100005001_100000000_100005000_100-5-1

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Try the Bandit "Footloose" series as well. It's become my go to lure for Smallies!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
keep it simple
option 1. slow and low(tubes)
option 2. fast and subsurface(cranks)
option 3(best option) super fast and on the surface
poppers are too slow, mid speed with buzzbaits and burn spooks...it would be my go to on the lmr for smallies until around october.

·
Lovin' the Outdoors
756 Posts
SConner is right on - Rebel Wee Craw brown/orange. When topwater is on, Heddon Tiny Torpedos (any color really). Spinners are ok but usually produce small fish for me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You want to show a little girl a good time on the river. I have no idea what is working well right now, consistently. In times like this, I keep telling myself that I should go back to my roots and try what worked back then. I used to catch alot of smallies, but rarely any big ones. As long as I was catching something, I had fun.

I used to love finding a small riffle with a shallow pool nearby to catch crawdads. Just start turning rocks over slowly and be ready to grab them. If you get really lucky, you'll find a helgrammite. Hook a crawdad through the tail with a split shot sinker about a foot above the hook. Cast into a pool adjacent to a riffle and wait. You can also put it right in the current with enough weight crimped on. I'm talking about current that isn't moving extremely fast. You can try plain old night crawlers, too. If you don't catch any fish, the kid will learn about catching crawdads.

I also used to catch alot of dinks with very small jigs tipped with small curly tailed grubs along with small spinnerbaits. For a kid, catching the little ones is more fun than going for the grandmas and grandpas, only to get skunked.

Just my humble opinion :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
another 2nd on the Rebel Wee Craws.

I have only fished the LMR a few times, and each time I have caught 2 or more fish on the Rebel Wee Craws: stream & ditch (brown/orange) colored for clear water & and if the water is a little murky the chartruese with a brown back is best.

here is a link to see the color patterns, several colors can be found at Dicks Sporting Goods, Bass Pro has more colors.
http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=784

·
I believe ... I'll go fishing
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. As some of you mentioned, I've found that catching lots of small fish is the way to go with my kids. My daughter and I are going to do a float down from Lebanon and will being trying your suggestions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I second the orange/brown Rebble wee crawl. Shallow and mid-depth models. I would also suggest upgrading the hooks. I've had big smallies bend the stock hooks enough to get off.

Good luck!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts