close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lmr sauger

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by twm6739, May 30, 2007.

1. hello all,
    went out to the lmr this morning and fished between milford and above bass island in newtown. had a good day with the sauger. ended up catching 12 sauger (one was 16 in.), no real size other than the one, and a whitey, and a 12 in. smallmouth. all fish came on a 3 in white grub except for the first sauger on a white and black crankbait. wonderin if anyone is catching any sauger of decent size anywhere on the lmr? let me know

2. catking

catking Banned

That's a nice sauger @ 16"...wasn't a saugeye by any chance??? I've caught some monster saugeye out of that river, but the saugers USUALLY run alot smaller. Nice sauger fishing. Good for you..... THE CATKING !!!

3. pretty sure it was a sauger i havent caught any saugeye out of there yet...i would like to get into some of them somewhere i know that

4. theres not many saugeye in that river, i have caught a few and most were large but few and far between. there are some very large sauger in there anyway, you would be surprised how big they get in there

5. catking

catking Banned

I've caught more saugeye that saugers from the LittleMiami in the section around CC Lake and the Fosters section....I guess it depends on what part you are fishing.But the section of the river by CCLake is LOADED with saugeyes , absoluty loaded...;) THE CATKING !!!

6. i'v seen it either way depending on the day, forsters is almost all sauger all the time, and i've caught 22in sauger up by cc, the farther up river you get the bigger the sauger get but the fewer there are. i still think most people just mistake big saugers for saugeye up there, i have never caught more than maybe 3 saugeye in a day in that river anywhere

7. catking

catking Banned

Saugeyes are stocked in alot of lakes that lead into the littlemiami. CC Creek is one of them, Cowan is another that has a creek system that makes it to the river systems. Same with hybrids. The eastfork of the littlemiami is loaded with huge hybrids that have made it in the river systems due to stockings in lakes. The ohio river is a great place for saugeyes,saugers etc. I cannot believe people havent caught saugeyes in the littlemiami as much as saugers. I believe people catching HUGE saugers are just the oppisit. They are saugeyes, since saugeyes get larger that wild saugers. THE CATKING!!! The creek below the CC Dam is almost 90 percent saugeyes.

8. catking

catking Banned

The state record for sauger is 7.31 pounds and 24" long. The state record for saugeye is almost 13 pounds and almost 29 inches.....see what I'm trying to point out??? It is common to catch saugeyes in some lakes that weigh 8 pounds, very common. It is never common to catch a 4 pound sauger , much less one over six pounds. Saugers are a small fish. The state record was caught in 1981, that is quite a while ago. With all the stocking of saugeyes in lakes, they are making it into our river systems BIG TIME , and many are catching them. I'm not saying you all are not catching saugeres, you are, as I've caught MANY in the LM just none even close to a saugeyes size. You catch a 24" sauger, it is a saugeye.No doubt about that.....unless you have a state record. The records I'm looking at were printed in 2003.....by the way , a member of this site caught the state record, but now that I think about it, that record fell a couple years ago from anothe fellow from Columbus that caught it up in the Columbus area......THE CATKING !!!

9. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

99.5% of the ones I have caught have been Saugeye....only a couple saugers in 7 yrs THere is a nice identification chart from DNR that explains the differences between the 3 (walleye, saugeye, sauger)....I have mine printed out. 400 cubic butt ton of saugeye only 1 cubic butt ton of sauger in the LMR for me...hehe.

10. cc and cowan dont have enough eyes coming out of them for people to be catch all saugeye, its misidentification, for example at fosters, i know many of you fish there. this year in that spot i have caught two saugeye, one walleye, and around 20-25 sauger, yes the saugeye were bigger, 21&15, but i have caught many sauger in that river from 16-20. most of the saugeye are 15-25in fish, there are smaller ones but the sauger vastly outnumber them and most of the eyes people catch out of that river are under 15in. as for the hybrids very few of the hybrids you catch in the lmr come from EF, they are mostly fish coming up from the ohio, wich is why they are here one week gone the next, along with the skippies the mooneye the sauger and the WB, there are resident fish but many of the fish we catch move in and out of the river at various times for various reasons
    next eye you catch look at the dorsal, if there are spots its not a saugeye

11. catking

catking Banned

I'm just trying to grasp what you are saying riverking-You say you have caught MANY sauger in the littlemiami that are between 16-20" long. I read that the average size sauger in Ohio inland rivers are around 10-12 " with very few approaching the 16 and over mark.Maybe Fishman will see this thread and add to the discussion, since he has a degree in fish biology. The point is with all the stocking of lakes in Ohio with saugeyes, they are over taking the river systems and the native saugers are getting more rare to catch.And the fact is CC is almost ALL saugeyes below the dam.People catching 30 and 40 smaller fish in November are catching the saugeyes. Same as Paint Creek.But to say catching 21 " saugers is like saying it's common to catch 8 pound to 10 pound bass in Ohio. A 21 " sauger is approaching the state record. The world record is only around 8.5 or so....As far as the hybrids, I live ABOVE the East Fork lake and ALL the hybrids are from the lake. They come up stream as if to spawn which is their instinct.The fact is the hybrids in the Ohio river came from all the lakes stocked in the past twenty years with hybrids, not the other way around........Bottom line is a sauger is a SMALL fish by river standards.Please feel free to read up on them as there are many good publications on native fish from Ohio. THE CATKING !!!

12. catking

catking Banned

I know this is about the LMR and I live above the East Fork, but where they branch in Milford, the hybrids have a very easy route to the littlemiami . CC once stocked hybrids also and that is where I caught the " 10.25" hybrid in my signature........... THE CATKING !!!:)

13. i know the hybrids have an easy route to the lmr, and i know that they have been stocked in EF for years. what i am saying with the hybrids is that in the lmr itself, most of the hybrids are running up. also i know that sauger are a smaller fish, a sauger over 16in is a rare sauger, by many i mean i've caught maybe 40-50 out of the lmr in 06-07 along with 20-30 saugeye upwards of 15in, even a few walleye, but most fish are still under 12in, I catch alot of bigger fish because i throw bigger baits in that river than most people are willing to throw and i fish it on a very regular basis for many years. but instead of throwing around ideas on this site how about we just fish the river and see what we are catching, if you would like to fish this weekend i will be on the river and we can compare what we feel is a sauger/saugeye

14. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

MOST of my catch have been saugeye...a LARGE percentage...mostly middle LMR below CC to Loveland. Enough said...lol

15. if you go to the sauger/walleye disscusions there is a link to the Ohio River Fishieries Managment Team's, findings on the ohio rivers percidea, they disscus the saugeye populations in the ohio river, why do i think that most people on the lmr misidentify saugeye

"Saugeye were the most difficult to identify with 75 out of 210 fish identified correctly, the remainder of these 210 fish were confirmed to be sauger and walleye" (115 sauger, 13 walleye, 13 natural saugeye)
    Even the interns colecting the fish on the shocking boats, the future scientists and fisheries managers, misidentified many more sauger for saugeye than they found saugeye. just look closer at your fish, they're probably sauger

in addition to this in markland pool in they're 1999-2000 study the estimated total catch was

sauger-24181 walleye-359 saugeye-19
    this is the ohio river in the same pool that the lmr runs into, now the lmr is probably skewed twards having more saugeye because of the two lakes stocked with them on its watershed but it stil cant make up that much of a percentage with numbers like that
    total estimates below mehldal dam are
    sauger-7190 walleye-289 saugeye-312
    we are looking at a serious percentage of the fish we catch being saugers, even though you think you are catching saugeye

16. yea, almost all the eyes you get around here are sauger, although lately i've seen a lot more walleye in the LMR and most of the big fish i get in the rivers are saugeye that come outta the lakes. No matter how you identify them, they are a sure sign they river is improving and it is looking like it will only get better