close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR Report-Mathers Mill to Morrow

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Backwater, Aug 13, 2007.

1. On 8/12 my son-in-law and I floated the LMR from Mathers Mill to Morrow. We tossed spinners, rapalas, wee-craws, tubes (w/ and without spinners), nightcrawlers, and more at em from about 8am to 2:30pm and got skunked (except for e few odd bluegill). But we had fun, and didn't get too badly scorched:) Hope others have better luck (or more skill). I'd like to hear from others who fished that segment of the LMR recently to compare results. We tried to fish artificial baits in the riffles (above and below) and then float live bait through the riffles into the pools. Was it just a bad day, or do I need instruction:)

2. The HOT weather has a lot to do with it. Not as much in Rivers as stillwater though ( obviously because running water stays cooler and more oxygenated than inland lakes, etc ). But, it won't be much longer now when the nights start getting cooler and the days as well and the fish bite will be back on.

3. I haven't fished that stretch but lately, my success has been with tubes on the LMR.

Last weekend, I used gitzit 2.5" green crawdad tubes and had some success. I haven't had any recent success in the riffles, but rather the deeper pools just above and below the riffles.

Good luck!

4. We've fished down to Mathers Mill but haven't floated/fished the section you were on. But, I have heard good things about that stretch.
    I haven't seen that the heat has been detrimental. We were on the LMR on Sunday and I personally had the best day I've ever had on the river. Caught a 2-3 lb. drum, at least 10 dinks, two 15", and lost two nice fish that were bigger than the 15"'s. Both spit the hook while in flight. I've switched to a beefier hook that I think will solve the problem. It couldn't be my fault. Could it? This was all on about one mile of river.
    I'm now convinced it's all about plastics. You have to fight the frustration of snags and stick with it. It's all part of the game when fishing the rocks. There's a definite learning curve to success. But, it's well worth the time, effort, and money (baits and hooks).
    Todd