lmr past the banks greene county

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sleprock, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

just a report river is way past banks up here.

2. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

The GMR is way out of its banks too, i saw someone this morning taking photos of it. Makes a great fishing opportunity for the great blue herons, when the water recedes they have a field day picking up fish stranded in fields. I guess one could do the same (just pick up the fish), with the cold weather the fish would still be good to eat!

3. Astro1700

Astro1700 Member

By the looks of the weather, it's only going to get worse. I hate March.

4. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Chris,believe it or not,it's illegal to pick up those fish and take them b'cz you're not "angling" for them. I got stopped by an DNR guy who was gonna write me a ticket for putting fish back into the river "by hand" when they had gotten trapped in a back channel by dropping water levels. A lengthy converation ensued regarding my intentions(heck,he SAW what I was doing!)and he told me to leave or he'd write a ticket for capturing fish by illegal methods. Go figure,TC1

5. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

The water crested in South Lebanon on Tuesday afternoon at 16.15 feet. That is just below flood stage, which is 17 feet. My house is 750 feet away from the canoe launch at the end of High St so I was a bit concerned.

River forecast from the NWS in Wilmington:
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=iln&gage=kimo1

6. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

tall cool one,

That is absolutely insane! I wonder if you saw a nice crappie laying on the ground, lowered a jig into its mouth, and pulled up, if it would be considered angling. Maybe that's snagging? It doesn't make sense to be charged with anything when a fish is stranded and is going to die anyway.

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

If this is true, this is rediculous.

8. I agree but it is the law, I do however understand that by saying its ok, some ( no one here of course) might take advantage of a situation like that and then say, they were gonna die anyways, the "Man" was doing his job. I can relate to a story when I was in Jr high, ( yeah, back in the late 70's) when a friend and myself were in a tiny trib to a trib of the LMR that was all of about 6" deep and had a few spawning carp up in there and we were chasing them with our hands, and finally catching 1, yes, it took a while but we were trying to catch another one when a DNR guy stopped since we were right along the road where he could watch us from the car and when my buddy flipped a 2 lb carp out of the water but we ddnt catch it, we got a long lecture on the finer ponts of fishing illegaly, he was cool but made it known that what we were doing was technically illegal... not exactly the same circumstances but simillar.
    I say, save them all, we all have done it and I will continue to do so no matter what the species, carp, suckers, bullheads, etc

Salmonid

9. Went past the GMR this afternoon, thought I was going to fish by one of the LH dams by UD arena. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the LH dam, only the raging water just downstream of it. But all was not lost, I had a fairly severe fishing itch that was satisfied by a pond that was all open from the warm weather this week. Didn't catch a thing, didn't think I would either though. I have no idea on how to catch pond bass when the water is this cold. Maybe I should try a texas rigged worm fished slow (or maybe stopped would be a better term). Anyone have any pointers for a Bass amature in a river or pond in the very early spring?

10. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

B16,I used to fish LMB in the very early srping for some big 'uns in gravel pits in SE Ohio when I was going to school down there. I used a large,long ,black worm-like fly(I don't use gear) and dragged it on the bottom,twitchin' it as I brought it back. PB LMB this way was 27 1/2".Not much fight though ,as they are so cold.Fish under 18" fought better'n big 'uns as the latter were all pregnant females,too swollen w/ eggs to fight.
    Yeah,sure seems crazy to let fish go to waste or die but I aint gonna argue w/ the law when he's standin' right in front of me.Uh,well,I guess I actually did argue w/ him...but he won. He coulda been more of a d--k and wrote me up,so I guess I got off easyTC1

11. big_b16 which pond were you fishin down by UD, or what road was it off of?