Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

had a lot of fun this morning on the LMR!

Went out from 7:30 till 10:00 and caught 11 smallies in the 10 to 13 inch range!

On the last cast (why is it always the last one???), I caught another dink, but suddenly a bigger on echased the dink to get the lure!

So I quickly released the little on and casted again and WHAM!

After a quick fight and 2 jumps I caught this nice smallie on the picture.

I forgot my measuring tape in the car, but I would say 15 inches??

All fish were caught on tubes in about 1-2 feet of water. I had to switch to a 1/32 oz jig head, but still snagged a lot! Went through one pack of bitsy tubes :mad:

Thanks to SMBHooker, HOUSE and BassAddict for all the help!!:)

Attachments

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Nizza fisch!!!

Where have you been hiding lately? I've been yaking the LMR quite a bit lately and haven't seen you and your 9ft surf rod anywhere to be found.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9 ft surf rod?????:D

It's a 9 ft Med light, extra fast, super duper, mega, awesome spinning rod!

I love to have something really long in my hand:D:D:D

I was trying to get out to the LMR as often as possible, but have a lot of work right now, so the trips are most of the time no longer than 2 or 3 hours!

Any idea how to reduce snags?? Tried your jig head advice and it's better, but I'm still getting snagged a lot, even with 1/16 th oz heads.

Don't say T- rig, because I tried and with that my hook up ratio is very, very bad!!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You're starting to put it together out there, nice job.

One of my favorite reasons for throwing an unweighted soft jerkbait is no snags!!! If you ever snag it rigged this way hold on cause a behemoth smallmouth will feel like a snag when you set the hook. :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Any idea how to reduce snags?? Tried your jig head advice and it's better, but I'm still getting snagged a lot, even with 1/16 th oz heads.

Don't say T- rig, because I tried and with that my hook up ratio is very, very bad!!
Get a kayak! :p

One thing that might help is to not cast too far upstream, so the jig doesn't get dragged between two rocks. If you do cast upstream, keep the rod tip up and a tighter line until it passes where you are standing. If you do get hung up, I found a pretty good trick to pop your lure free. I'll try and find a video for you rather than try to describe it. I use braided line, so if I cant pop free, I can usually pull the hook straight. That doesn't seem to cause problems until you hook something big and it straightens you back out.

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
Fisha,

I've fished about 5 or 6 of the last 7 days on the lower LMR and I've also done pretty well with small tubes. I was using the Zoom small tube in green pumpkin which is very similar to the bitsy tube. However, I caught most of my tube smallies in deeper pools, just bouncing the tube occasionally on the bottom. I also caught many on a Fluke Jr on a 1/8 oz jig head and a few on a chartreuse roostertail.

Question: Are you just using a standard jig head like you would use with a grub or are you using a tube jig that places the weight inside the body of the tube? Also, you mentioned you caught them all in 1-2 FOW. Is that in the ripples or in more slack water?

Just curious because I took a buddy to the river last night after having such a great week of fishing and we didn't do very well. I ended up with a white bass and 3 small smallies. He got skunked. That really stunk because I had caught about 60-70 fish this week, many of them being pretty nice ones.

Maybe I'll run down for an hour or so today, just to test the waters......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TIC,

for these shallow waters I use standard round ball jig heads, because the spiral fall doesn't really matter!

When it's deeper 4-6 feet, I use the tube jig heads, so I have the spiral fall (had many hits on the first fall)!

The spot I've fished today, was a very long run, with deeper pockets and a couple of weed bed eddies!!

I didn't have much luck in the evening for the last couple of weeks, either!

Most of my fish came in the morning or midday!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts