close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR I think I caught a GAR?????

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by williambauman, May 25, 2007.

1. flipped a roostertail around for a while caught 5 gills. This little guy became bait for what I hoped would be a catfish. Caught this toothy fellow with it instead. Is that a GAR? Glad I use steel leaders or he would have bit my line in two.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. no, that's a sauger. gar are long and skinny with a very long, thin, snout thats lined with teeth. Also, dont worry about sauger biting your line, i have had 100+ sauger days on 4 lb. test without a problem. Gar on the other hand are tough to land because their mouth is all bone and lined with sharp teeth

3. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

nope thats not a gar its either a saugeye or sauger

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

looks like a sauger! good catch

5. Put that on the list of first time catches. So thats a sauger and a pike from the same spot. Wonder what else is in there?? Thanks for letting me know what it was. Is that a common catch on the LMR? It tried to fight but was no match for the 30# line:p

6. You will catch tons of saugers out of the LMR. At one point last summer that was all I would catch. I remember my first one, I thought what in the hell is this. Noticed the teeth and realized later that it was a sauger. What color rooster tail were you using? At bass island I nail them with a green or white rooster tail. Only problem with sauger is most of them that are in the LMR are pretty small, every once in awhile you will hook into a 2-4 saugeye. Good Fish.

Jake

7. CamdenGizzard

CamdenGizzard Elroderator

thats a Saugeye I do believe. Good eatin and fun catchin if you get in to some big ones.

8. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I think its a saugeye by it the black patches.

9. thats a sauger. Saugeyes have a white spot on their tail just like a walleye.. thats the easiest way to tell the difference

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

11. I'll just throw this out there, take it or leave it. I would recommend not using steel leaders or 30# test line. Sure, you are catching fish, but you will catch more fish with lighter line and no leeder. Fish can see the leeder, plus it inhibits the action. In fact, for some fish the 30# test might be enough to dissuade them plus it makes casting harder.

Anyways, good catch.

12. I was hoping to catch a catfish with my 30# test and steel leader. I wasn't using that pole to flip roostertails. for that I was using a UL with 6lb test.

13. Ok, must have misread your post. Anyways-I don't think there is any need for a steel leeder in freshwater (unless you are specifically going after musky)-might improve your results (though it looks like you're doing fine with it!). I even try not to use steel in saltwater where the critters are often even toothier (unless going after sharks/cuda/etc).