Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after seeing posts of great catches on the LMR I finally went out for a wade at the Mill Bridge Launch site near Bellbrook. Was hoping for a small mouth but left catching 1 rock bass and 1 sunfish.

I tried fishing a tube bait, rebel crawl, chatter bait, and chartreuse jig. The tube kept getting snagged, frustrating. Especially in the area with a lot of current which is where I expected the fish to be, no action at all. Rebel Crawl I was having a hard time getting the bait to the bottom.

Started to get some action (rock bass & sunfish) on the jig as I hit the calmer section of the river, I thought I was supposed to be fishing in the current!? This mostly came around some downed trees and I know structure is a good thing.

So as someone who has always lake fished for bass and wants to get into the river scene, what suggestions do you have? I had fun today and I know all it is going to take is one river smallie and I'll be hooked! Just wondering what maybe I should have done differently so I can try it next time!

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
First advice I can give you is don't give away your spot on here. Because if you find a good spot you don't want everyone else fishing it with you. You are using the right lures. I have been finding smallies in the riffles, at the end of the riffles, and in the slow pools holding to wood structure. Might want to try some top water also. Somedays the fish are biting and sometimes they aren't. That is why they call it fishing. Keep at it and you will get them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been doing best on double willow leaf spinnerbaits and shad colored crankbaits on the Muskingum river. Almost every smallie I have caught in the last couple weeks have been in or near current. If you find the bait fish you will find the brown bass. Hope you have better luck on your next trip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts