close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR Degradation Public Hearing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tandem, Sep 21, 2004.

1. tandem

tandem kayak fisher

LMR Degradation Public Hearing

Public Hearing Announcement for Sycamore Waste Water Treatment Plant
    Discharge Permit September 23, 2004
    Montgomery Elementary School 9609 Montgomery Road Montgomery, OH

Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) has requested a discharge permit that will
    LOWER THE WATER QUALITY STANDARDS FOR THE LITTLE MIAMI RIVER. MSD plans to ignore full secondary sewage treatment (the accepted method for the last century) in favor of "blending" sewage during wet weather. This is sewage treatment on the cheap and it contradicts the 30 year old Clean Water Act. The LMR is enjoyed by thousands of hikers and bikers, paddlers, fishers, and swimmers.
    Please attend this meeting to let them know how much you you value this natural gem of a river in our backyard.

The Little Miami is one of the original 27 study rivers of the National Wild
    and Scenic Rivers Act (1968). The upper two sections became an Ohio Scenic River in 1969 and 1971 and a National one in 1973. The lower section including the Cincinnati reach was designated National in 1980. National designations are under Sec. 2(a)ii, state-managed. The river section in the Sycamore WWTP area also has a "special warmwater habitat"designation by the state of Ohio for its rich biodiversity. Farther downstream, the Magrish Nature Preserve has recently been designated an "important bird area."

The river is unusual in flowing through a major metropolitan area, 6 miles of
    it thru Cincinnati proper; earlier on it was the only such national river.
    The Little Miami has 94 miles in the system. Another index of rarity is that
    this river has about 10% of the total 2(a)ii mileage in the nation. And the
    entire NW&SR system makes up only 3/10ths of 1% of the total river miles in the nation (see diagram attached).

The area involved has recently become an Important Bird Area, a discrete site that provides significant habitat for the large variety of birds found there.

2. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

People are so stupid. Honestly, there is not going to be anywhere left to fish in 20 years.

3. I would be glad to attend if I could. Fishingredhawk look up you wont have to buy any equippment. I do not agree with you. Streams are cleaner today than they were in the seventies or eighties. I certainly hope that someone can attend. Thanks for the information.

4. Im not from SW ohio but it was nice to see this posted. I regularly check the OEPA News board just to see what is going on and its a great way to find these things out and have your say. Otherwise you end going "well when did this happen" or "I didnt know about it"

5. Streams are cleaner today than they were in the seventies or eighties.

That statement is relative ...and not in the sense that its true or pretinenet. Meaning things were so bad, while they are better, they certainly aren't good, what they could be, what they should be, and what they need to be.

And ignoring secondary treatment wow ... Hey its not my drinking water ( being very cynical ) I have the wonderful section of the Middle Cuyahoga, which I can smell on after a nice rain from about a half mile away + mmmm

6. The question to ask is: what happens to the "wet weather" sewage when they overflow. Does it go straight into the LMR (my guess). If it is limited only to overflow periods (nature made, not man-made...nice try MSD) then I could see it as preferable to dumping pure raw sewage in.

Are they going to skip secondary on all of it, or just the overflow????? Are there links to this proposal somewhere?? I would prefer to read it myself rather than get an interpretation.....

The only reason I bring this up is because the new sewage treatment plant in ky was delayed and people were saying it would dump all this sewage into the river...when actually, the raw sewage is going in right now and the treatment plant would will actually make things better. Just want a clear picture.

The meeting is up the road from me......might just have to attend...

Thanks for the heads up.

7. Lazzyfishingman

Lazzyfishingman How you work is who u r!!

I thought the LMR was a national protected river. I hope that there will be a few people to show up in protest.. It was like when Fernald was dumping low grade radioactive stuff in the river.. The reason why it was called low grade is they add more water to the mixture they were dumping.... Keep up the good work OEPA...