close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LMR at Avoca Trailhead

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dvsm0479, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Didn't bother to check the water level before I left, so when I got there a little before 7:00 I was greeted by a river of chocolate. Decided to fish anyway, and caught one nice channel cat about 6+ on cut shad right away drifted under a bobber. Fifteen minutes later, I moved downstream to a little whirlpool that looked fishy enough to risk having the undercut bank slip out from under me. As expected, it ended up paying off, getting a hook up by about the third cast on my 1/8 oz orange jig with a black grub. The fish put up a good fight in the current, and after a minute I started think I had another channel. I was close, it was a 4 or 5 pound flathead, my first. I also let something else get off, pretty sure it was a sauger.

I was dissapointed to see the river so high, but it was good to get out and catch a couple nice fish.

2. I hear what your saying. I was out there the other day and decided not to fish because of the chocolate mess. I fish Avoca at least once a week if you could please PM with a decent spot to catch a cat. I am still waiting on my first of the year. I usually do decent with the Sauger/Smallmouth/White Bass at Avoca with the occasional Crappie. Yet I still have yet to catch a cat.

Jake