Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try out some new water today so I headed up north about 15 miles to a place I've been wanting to try out once the water levels lowered and slowed down. I found a place to put in but I was very disappointed to see a bunch of litter, half a container of chicken livers and a catfish head next to a fire pit. The river still looked promising so I paddled upstream through a gentle pool about half a mile before I found a riffle and some faster water.

This place was gorgeous, I could occasionally hear someone on the bike path but other than that no signs of anyone else. In fact I had to search around a little bit just to find one bottle that had obviously been under water for a long time. None of the liveries must go through this segment of the river as there were many trees down some blocking the river.

I picked up some new Sculpins yesterday after work, had a few nibbles on one but I didn't catch anything until I tied on the green pumpkin tube. I had some tugs, caught a couple dinks then landed a hard fighting 12 inch smallie. There was a lot of trees in the water, I was losing a lot of tubes. I probably would have caught a few more but I was spending a lot of time trying to get unsnagged and re-tying lures. On the way back downstream I was throwing a chartreuse/orange rebel craw in the pool and caught the best one of the day, a jumping 16 incher. As it was coming out of the water I could see a second fish about the same size trying to take the bait from it. For a second I thought I had a double. The big one didn't stick around for a photo, I keep my phone in a drybox on the yak and it took too long to get it out with one hand trying to hold the fish with the other and it flopped away.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nice trip, nice looking water. Too bad about the photo of the 16 incher... you were going to release it anyway.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The old "Ohio Special" that ones been a ghost on the boards this year . . prob cause QueticoMikster is gone.

Beautiful stretch of stream for sure . . I enjoy nothin more than a float with the sight of no one to be found. The only disturbance I enjoy are the same 16"ers that interrupted your retrieve. Nice post!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Good report, sounds like a blast. The mid-LMR and beyond looks a lot like the EFLMR in the pics you guys post on here. A 16"er is a nice fish.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Nice report. Want a yak so bad it isn't funny. Had a similar occurrence on my outing yesterday. Pitched a teeny rebel craw between two rock and got a hit from a fatty 9" rock bass and 2 seconds later a bigger rock bass actually jumped out the water after the bait and bit it. Had both on for few second then the bigger one spit it.( or so I thought).

Cast same spot and the sucker hit it again and hard too. Then he unbuttoned mid air. checked my lure thinking somethings up with the it and sure enough the thing broke off the front treble hook. Thinking it happened at time when it first tried to steal it.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts