Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set aside a couple of hours for fishing early Saturday morning which means, I was plagued Friday night trying to figure out how to best use my fishing time. I know your not supposed to stress about hobbies you are fortunate enough to be able to do but for me it's always an internal struggle. My brain is hemorrhaging with the thoughts–where to fish–fly fishing or spinning gear or bait casting or a combination–what tackle to bring–not too much.. or too little–should I go exploring or go to a confidence spot–what fish should I target.

I settled on smallmouth, bait caster, explore new spot, baitfish patterns.

For me the new spot was to wade upstream on a section of the LMR where I usually wade downstream. Visibility was a couple inches which makes wading a new spot adventurous, particularly in swim trunks and sandals. I was having a hard time getting a read on the underwater structure because of the visibility and the fact that I was using a spinnerbait, I couldn't feel the bottom like you would with a jig bait. Not having much luck fan casting tailouts and runs I started to target bank cover that looked bassie. My first take came when I cast upstream to a tree stump. The strike came instantly and my rod instantly bent in half. Once I got the bass to my feet it decided to do a 180 back upstream and started pulling drag. I pulled back on my rod sending the fish into a jump at which point it threw my lure. My heart was in my throat, it was the biggest smallie this year.

Setback aside I continued to fish the same pattern producing a combination of smalls and spots every couple of casts. Nothing huge but only one dink. Bank cover along deep eddies was key. The strikes came right when the lure would hit the water, I didn't get one strike on the retrieve. I think I needed to hit the fish right on the nose in the low visibility water.

The photo is of the biggest fish of the morning. I'm guessing 16.5", my measuring and photographing while wading skills are lacking. A white spinnerbait produced the best numbers, including the fish in the photo.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gumbers! I only saw two other people while walking downstream, I think it's safe to assume we passed each other. I wasn't expecting visibility to be that bad. I kept thinking I was going to walk into a hole and take a swim.

I didn't catch any fish after I passed you and your friend.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Nice smallie TA. I fret the same way when trying to decide where to go fishing.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
id say your picture skills are spot on..great pic! looks like at least a 16" to me.....nice choice on adventuring to new water to..some of my best trips have been exploring new waters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts