Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fun evening wading the LMR. Water was low, clear, and cool after the rain last week and the cool weather this week. First fish was a leap-happy 15" smallie that went airborne 4 times--too much fun! Except for that first smallie, fish were not hitting the Wee Craw like normal. I stupidly lost my only one in a tree branch, and had to switch to a spinner, and that's when things got interesting. 7 smallies in about an hour and a half, plus the biggest rock bass I've ever seen by far--a full 11 inches. Crazy. I didn't know they got that big. The bass were all in fairly strong current. Then the biggest sauger (not a saugeye) I've ever caught--a full 20 inches. (This one particular fish was kind enough to accept my invitation to dinner tomorrow night.) 8 smallmouth, 6 sauger (one huge), and a hog rock bass, and lost a bunch more leaping bass. Best evening on the LMR all summer, and probably the last time I'll be able to go with school starting on Monday. Sad. Another summer gone by. You only get so many.
BTW, I used to fish the Rebel Craw a lot, but I started liking a different lure better. Lately I've been trying the Wee Craw again just for variety, and it's good, but I still think the #3 Mepps Comet is the best thing going. It's the way that little gray/purple and silver fish trails the spinning blade. It's killer. For years it was all I needed and all I carried.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What area of the LM were you fishing? I drove past the LM in Loveland Tuesday afternoon 8-16 and it was very muddy. BTW, your sauger and rock bass both qualify for Fish Ohio awards. Nice job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What area of the LM were you fishing? I drove past the LM in Loveland Tuesday afternoon 8-16 and it was very muddy. BTW, your sauger and rock bass both qualify for Fish Ohio awards. Nice job.
Thats really strange. I drive over the LMR on 126 in remington twice a day back and forth to work and it has looked great for several days.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was somewhere north of Morrow. The river was low, almost down to 5 feet on the USGS Web site gauge in Milford, and clear for the LMR, which never gets really clear until after the first frost. I could just see my shoes in 3 1/2 feet of water, which is about as good as it gets in the LMR. I know the river fairly well, and as soon as I saw it I got excited. It was a good evening, no doubt.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
...BTW, your sauger and rock bass both qualify for Fish Ohio awards. Nice job.
It'll have to be a awarded post-mortem. The sauger is in his stomach now!
:)

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
I've been fishing the LMR lately, concentrating north of Fort Ancient. The water has been pretty clear by lmr standards, as zuelkek noted. Almost all of my good sized fish (+14 have been in deeper water, 3-9 feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts