Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the garage cleaning up my river tackle box and before I could even finish my dad walks in and all he says is "get your stuff were going fishing." Fine with me! So we get to our spot and it was perfect the water was clear and had that pretty LMR green to it, it was also actually a little low because the normal holes we hit were not as large as usual. Anyways first area we hit first cast of the day BAM ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376446832.340543.jpg a little rock bass sweet right? Wrong, I've always had this bad luck, whenever you catch a fish on the first cast your not gonna catch to many that day and it was true today. My dad had a pretty good day lots of little rock bass and couple 12" smallies on a pop r. He also caught this nice crappie. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376447126.754127.jpg we don't catch many in the rivers but whenever we catch one they're pretty nice. Couldn't get anything to gulp my gulp minnows which rarely ever happens, I tied on a crank and tried that. What felt like a hundred casts later I felt pressure on the end of my crank and with a little snap of my wrist I had what I am pretty sure is a pumpkinseed sunfish but this one was special it was easily the ...well I guess most beautiful pumpkinseed I've seen. Beautiful isn't used to describe fish really but it was so cool looking ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376447523.259092.jpg i just looked at pictures of them online and all of them showed pumpkinseeds with light orange stomachs and brown spots with blue in between but this fish, it's colors just really stood out and were darker. I couldn't get anything else to bite my crank so I switched to a tube and decided I would just stick with it. I fished and fished and fished with nothing much to show until we got to our last hole, there's this old log that starts from the bank and lays down all the way across this hole, I threw my tube at the top near the bank and slow hopped down close to the tree and felt my tube stop mid hop reeled up tight and huh my line started to go the opposite direction so I set the hook and caught this huge rock bass. He was long and fat, I really wish I woulda had my scale to measure his weight because his stomach was really fat. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376448177.403990.jpg he measured to 12". The state record rock bass 14 3/4" and 1.97lbs, pretty cool to catch a fish that has the chance to grow into a state record in a year or two. He did feel to be 1lb when I held him by the lip but i don't really know and don't want any weight arguments to start. Even though I didn't catch many fish today it was a good day to be out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Great report FFL; you are right that's a very pretty sunfish. Congrats on the Fish Ohio rock bass.

·
Registered
141 Posts
awesome rock bass! that pumpkinseed is a longear sunfish, ohio has 2 species of longear. the northern longear and the central longear, that one appears to be a central longear lol. gorgeous fish none the less!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome rock bass! that pumpkinseed is a longear sunfish, ohio has 2 species of longear. the northern longear and the central longear, that one appears to be a central longear lol. gorgeous fish none the less!
Thanks! I am really bad with my sunfish theres so many diffrent types it's hard to get them all right, I'll figure them all out eventually

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
141 Posts
lol I hear you on that one! I had a sunfish aquarium for about a year so I learned most of them from researching the ones best suited for aquarium life. People dont realize just how colorful native sunfish can be, and that one is a VERY gorgeous fish! :D

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Hey, sometimes slow days are just as satisfying. Great report and some purty fish for sure.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Nice report FFL..... That rockbass is pretty nice size. Hot bite or slow bite, doesn't matter..its nice to hear that you get out with your dad and you both can enjoy fishing together.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
That a nice rock bass!!
Longears are some awesome looking fish.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Nice report. Sometimes I think those longeared sunfish are as pretty a fish as I have ever seen. That one is gorgeous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts