Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening started off slow. I fished for a couple hours and had like two 7 or 8 inch bass to show for it. The river is falling and off colored, a combination I have a hard time with most of the time. Towards dark I had a hit on a three inch grub and the rod bent double. It was pretty obvious instantly that it was a catfish and not a bass. Now the question was what kind. I was hoping a channel since it would be a good one and just an average shovelhead. Light smallie tackle is not the best catfish gear and it took a couple minutes even though it was just a good one and not a big un. It was a channel but how good? It was going to be close for a fish ohio. The minimum size for a fish ohio is 26 inches and this fish just barely squeeked in at 26 1/8. That made me pretty happy but I was a pretty good ways from the truck with less than an hours daylight left. Rummaging around in my pack I tried to find something I could cover some ground with. Half on a lark, since I wasn't catching any bass anyways, I tied on a big buzzbait I use to largemouth with at night. Two cast later a nice smallie nails it, jumps and spits it back out. What the heck? A few cast later and another hits. I end up catching four more on the way back to the truck and missing a couple more. I didn't measure them as I was in a hurry to get back to at least the trail before nightfall but a couple were pretty decent fish. I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but ill be chucking a buzzbait next time falling muddy water is getting the best of me.

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
Nice fishes! I was out at the lower LMR early this morning and tossed a buzzbait for the first time. On the first cast I had a smallie smack it, but no hookup. I'll try it again next time I'm out early or late.

I did end up with my PB (newbee) river smallie this morning. I caught a fat 16.5"r on a 1/6 oz roostertail. Go figure. After tossing crankbaits, pop-r, buzzbait and flukes, I throw on the oldie but goodie roostertail in hopes of catching anything, and I get my PB smallie on it. It put up a heck of a fight on light tackle and did all the usual tricks - pulled drag, jump, burrow, into current, up the river into another channel. It was a great battle and it made me very happy to land it.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm hitting the LMR tomorrow around Camp Dennison. Is the river back to normal depth? The gauges appear to be back close to normal but I've seen some reports saying its still up a bit and staind in places.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Way to go stinky, nice fish. Those are some healthy looking smallies also; I will file that falling water buzzbait info away.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Those ARE some nice looking fish, congrats on FO Channel cat. I’ll be giving a buzzbait a shot within the next couple days for sure. It stinks having to leave when things are getting good.

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
I'm hitting the LMR tomorrow around Camp Dennison. Is the river back to normal depth? The gauges appear to be back close to normal but I've seen some reports saying its still up a bit and staind in places.
It's up just a bit and stained, but fishable. I caught my PB smallie yesterday not far from Camp Dennison.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did end up with my PB (newbee) river smallie this morning. I caught a fat 16.5"r on a 1/6 oz roostertail. Go figure. After tossing crankbaits, pop-r, buzzbait and flukes, I throw on the oldie but goodie roostertail in hopes of catching anything, and I get my PB smallie on it. It put up a heck of a fight on light tackle and did all the usual tricks - pulled drag, jump, burrow, into current, up the river into another channel. It was a great battle and it made me very happy to land it.....
congrats, that's a nice fish

·
Registered
255 Posts
OSG, oh great and knowledgeable one!, how were you fishing those buzzbaits when you drilled the smallies on them? I've been trying to hook up on the smallies on them this year, and haven't had much luck. I've used them a lot for large mouth and done well though.

I just read a good article on them and fishing them different ways, even well below the surface. Also what colors do you like? I hear black works well but I have them in blues, greens and rainbows too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts