Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set off from the launch point by 7:30 am this morning trying to beat the heat. I was hoping to get out a little earlier but I had been working a lot and I guess I needed a bit more sleep. While it wasn't real hot yet the humidity was already out in full force. I have a one mile stretch of the mid LMR that I like to paddle/wade, there are 4 good riffles, some bends, creeks and eddys which even an inexperienced guy like me can usually catch a few smallmouth. Like usual on weekdays, I didn't see another person the whole time I was on the river from 7:30 - 11:00.
I caught my first one pretty quickly after the first riffle, it was a small spotted bass that was fooled by the green pumpkin tube. I had a couple other nibbles there on the tube but no takers. After the next riffle I had more luck, first a 8-9 inch smallmouth on the tube, then a 14 smallie while wading. The first couple weren't photo worthy then the 14 incher jumped off the hook while I was getting my camera out (story of the day). I also got a 13 incher at the same place, this one hit on a paddle tail minnow, he was kind enough to stick around for a photo. I had a fair amount of fish that were biting the tube that I lost here and one on the minnow as well.
I tied on the ol' Rebel Craw (moss green on top orange on the bottom) on my way to the next riffle. It has a nice eddy on the left after the riffle and a creek mouth on the right before the riffle. I was drifting faster and faster toward the riffle, my last cast before the riffle was right into the creek mouth. Bingo! something immediately hit the Rebel Craw and jumped, I knew it was a big smallie right away. The bad part was I was going into the riffle sideways. So I'm fighting this fish, which is swimming like a freight train now, and trying to paddle one-handed to straighten myself out. I was able to get the fish in the yak, between my legs flopping around with a Rebel Craw in it's mouth. Luckily I straightened out just in time to hit a rock big enough to stop me. If I would have hit it sideways I would have dumped for sure. Somehow I managed to avoid getting treble-hooked in the thigh (or worse). This was a big fish, I got the lure out of it's mouth. I could barely hold it with one hand. I'm over 6 foot 1 so my hands aren't small and I couldn't hold it long enough to measure it and get my camera out before it tail-smacked my hand out of the way and flopped back in the river. My personal best is 19" and this was every bit of that and fat!
It was my last fish of the day, I had no bites in the eddy after the riffle. It was getting hotter and hotter so I skipped the last riffle. I turned around and paddled/waded back upstream. It was great to be back on the river again. I fish this area often so hopefully I can catch the big one again and get a pic of him.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Sucks that fish man handled you like that. You're just lucky it didn't put you in a choke hold and feed the rebel craw back to you. lol ;)

Seriously though that's an exciting bout with a big'on!! I feel ur pain, i lost a Hawg last night. :(

Next time put a submission hold on the beast with a heavy gage spinnerbait or somthin!! :cool:

Nice day out, thx for sharing!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job, there are lots of piggies in that stretch, my PB 21 incher came about 2 miles south of there. I can't believe we haven't crossed paths since I've been fishing that stretch for 25 years. I landed 3 over 17 on Sunday ( all under 18)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I try to get out there at least once a week, I'll be in the white Sea Eagle, holler if you see me. Sounds like you know the area well, nice job.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice Fish!!

Inflatables are tougher than most people think.
Yep, most people seem to think of them as pool toys. The Navy Seals use inflatables and how about the whitewater rafts. I've bounced many hooks and lures off it without a puncture. I've had a couple small punctures from dragging it through the woods but it takes a long time for the air to leak out, I just stopped paddling for a minute and put some more air in it a couple times and finished my float. Easy to patch too. At only 26 pounds they're nice paddling and wading the LMR upstream and downstream. Plus it rolls up and fits in my trunk. I've had it on some lakes too, it's OK as long as it's not too windy. You won't win any races against hard body kayaks but I recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot and want something that's easy to store and transport.

http://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks.aspx

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts