Lmr 5/17/07

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nitro750, May 18, 2007.

1. Fished the upper LMR yesterday. A friend of mine and myself caught several smallmouth and countless rockbass. The smallmouth were all in deeper holes and pockets around trees and logs. Caught them on a variety of plastics, tubes, craws, twister grubs etc. The biggest was about 16".

The not so fun part was I had the misfortune of tripping over a submerged log and wound up face first in the river. It wouldn't have been so bad except the river is about 60 degrees, the air temp was in the low 50's with a slight breeze. My waders filled with water etc. When I was able to get my footing and stand I didn't have a dry part on me, to include my hat. I was about a mile from my truck too, so that made for a very long and cold walk back. By the time I got back to the truck I was literally shivering. I was just lucky to have a bunch of bathtowels in the truck that I use to sit on after wading. Anyway, I'm writing this to remind everyone to watch their step, have some dry clothes or a blanket in your vehicle, put your cell phone in a ziplock bag and always tell someone the area you are fishing just in case you need help. It's also a good idea to have a small flashlight and waterproof matches in a ziplock bag. You don't think about hypothermia this time of year, but let me tell you I was feeling it last night. Don't get complacent and be safe so we can fish another day.

2. I have flipped a canoe in the GMR a couple times. (Trees lying at waterline, across narrow fast moving water both times) I can say one of the best things you can do is keep a spare set of clothes in the car just in case.

Riding home with the heater on full might keep you alive, but a dry set of clothes will make you feel like a million bux.

3. Thanks for the saftey reminder, Nitro. I went wading last night and normally I don't wade with a walking stick. This year I started and boy am I glad I did. I caught myself more than a couple of times last night from falling over into the drink. Since I wade by myself, I'm thinking of starting to wear my life vest just in case. I might look stupid, but I won't look too good after being stuck under a tree limb down stream after a few days either. I'll endure the snickers in the here and now rather than the here after.

Oh, good job with those SM. I lucked out last night. Caught a couple that I could have used for bait.