Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the LMR yesterday evening from 5 till 8!

Had one hit on a tube and caught a catfish on a paddle tail! That was it!:(

Tried riffle, run pool, tail,...., nothing!

Water is still pretty warm (I would guess in the high 60's to 70 deg) and has a good visibility!

Any advice from the "LMR smallmouth pros"??

Have they already left the "summer spots"?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I haven't fished the lmr lately but I fished a creek after work yesterday and the action was pretty dead until dark. Then the smallies and bigger sunfish came alive. I don't fish after dark much but may have to start if the action is going to be like that.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I went on an 11 hour float yesterday and the fall bite was not on at all. I got a 15" WB 13" smallie and 2 dink smallies all frickin day. I threw every type of lure with various presentations in every type of water. A better angler may have had different results, but either way it was rough out there.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I went on an 11 hour float yesterday and the fall bite was not on at all. I got a 15" WB 13" smallie and 2 dink smallies all frickin day. I threw every type of lure with various presentations in every type of water. A better angler may have had different results, but either way it was rough out there.
11 hours is a long ass float with not much luck. I am hitting wwr sunday so hopefully the bite turns on.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Got back out for a couple hours today. The only thing I could get action on was a green pumpkin stick worm. 13 and 11" smallies and a couple dinks. They didn't want any part of any shad type imitation.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Ive been stuck working ten hours a day the last week+ so any advice I can give isn't backed up with time on the water. (my disclaimer in case its way off base...) To me it looks and sounds like the fish are in cold front mode with the last couple that have come thru in the last week. Added to this they should be migrating towards fall and winter spots. If I was going today I'd probably throw two things I don't like to throw much in the river, a four inch texas rigged worm and a skirted jig n pig. I'd cut about half the bulk out of the skirt with scissors too. Nobody seems to be catching much in riffles or in pools from what I'm reading. I'd try isolated bits of cover fish could stage on and wood. Maybe try the upper end of bends trying to find some lay downed timber that's got an undercut bank with it too. I do bet a couple big fish are caught this week though as fish are out of their regular spots and moving even with the slow fishing. If I was going today I'd maybe try the upper LMR above say from Spring Valley all the way to John Bryan just because there is less river, less rock, more gravel and woody cover. I like the middle and lower LMR better but those bends and woody cover would be easier to fish up there...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ive been stuck working ten hours a day the last week+ so any advice I can give isn't backed up with time on the water. (my disclaimer in case its way off base...) To me it looks and sounds like the fish are in cold front mode with the last couple that have come thru in the last week. Added to this they should be migrating towards fall and winter spots. If I was going today I'd probably throw two things I don't like to throw much in the river, a four inch texas rigged worm and a skirted jig n pig. I'd cut about half the bulk out of the skirt with scissors too. Nobody seems to be catching much in riffles or in pools from what I'm reading. I'd try isolated bits of cover fish could stage on and wood. Maybe try the upper end of bends trying to find some lay downed timber that's got an undercut bank with it too. I do bet a couple big fish are caught this week though as fish are out of their regular spots and moving even with the slow fishing. If I was going today I'd maybe try the upper LMR above say from Spring Valley all the way to John Bryan just because there is less river, less rock, more gravel and woody cover. I like the middle and lower LMR better but those bends and woody cover would be easier to fish up there...

I was out on the lower LMR at a prime "fall" spot at the head of a really sharp bend in the river yesterday at around 7 until probably 8pm. I used top water, buzz baits, cranks and jigs. Nothing. I didn't even see a bust while I was out there. I couldn't buy a bite. This was the first time this year I was skunked since the winter fishing festivities myself and other members of the clown posse got into.

This time last year I had a lot of luck at the end of the riffles were it starts to get deep and slow. But, that was last year. I just wish I had time to figure them out this year, I am in the same boat as you with the work schedule.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts