close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lmr 08-30

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Ajax, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I hit the LMR around 4PM. I tried a different spot than my usual. I worked a section below the riffles the whole time. At first the bite was off. I caught a white bass on a roostertail after about an hour. My cranks were not producing results. I was pretty frustrated. I finally switched up to a chartreuse twisty tail 1/8oz. Right around sunset I caught a 14" Smallie and a 12" smallie in the same little hole back to back in waist deep stained water. I don't think I'll try that hole again, but I'm glad I went out exploring somewhere new.

2. I too fished a new hole yesterday - in the morning 8:30 to 11.
    floated a soft craw and wee craw down the riffles, tried green pumpkin curly tail and watermellon tube, threw rooster tails. Only had 1 strike that I think was a gar.

You did much better than me!

3. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I tried a Rebel Craw yesterday. But from what I understand (can anyone back me up?) smallies eat crawdads more in the spring and move on to baitfish as the season progresses. I saw lots of tiny baitfish where I was at.

4. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

I catch a lot of smallmouth on shad colored crankbaits in the LMR. I've never used a crayfish imitation lure. I catch a lot of sauger and saugeye on those too. I'd bet they're probably just opportunistic.

5. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i have seen a ton of bait fish too. i have also seen some smallies bust em. i havent had very much luck lately with smallies just some dinks. i think once the weather cools down a bit the smallie bite will pick up!

6. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I went again to the LMR. This time I borrowed my nieces purple bike (i have no shame) and went somewhere remote. I also bought an x-rap. :) It 's the best purchase I've ever made. The bite was on early (4PM) I got a new PB for the LMR. 16" smallie. This fish danced on top of the water for me. I pulled in 5 more smallmouth and a 24" gar then the bite really slowed down for me well before sunset. One reason may be that I had to go for a swim to retrieve my x-rap across from a deep hole. But I'm glad I did. I did take another rod and a minnow trap. When I ran out of minnows on the other rod I used some leftover beer-butt chicken and put it on the hook. Immediately I had a run. I set the hook and the fish broke my rod tip. I can't wait to go back.

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Went back today to my favorite new spot. I was pretty much :S . I caught one 10" smallie. The water temperature was noticeably cooler. Nothing was working.

8. Live bait em!!! seine up some bait, keep a trolling bucket tied to your hip, fish with only a hook and no weight. Watch the smallmouth blast the bait, cause it usually stays flopping on top!