Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silverback
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Monark King 190 DC. This weekend I confirmed the livewell is leaking into the bilge by the blood tainted water coming out when I pulled the plug at the top of the ramp.

Anybody have experience with this and can offer any tips for the cleaning, drying and caulking with something non-toxic?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mine leaked where the plastic tube from the pump, went through the transom. The tube was cracked at the transom. Removed old pump and installed new one. Check your fittings, it could be just a loose clamp.
John

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had a monark at one time and had same problem the corregated hose was split it was under warranty and vics put new hose on I dont believe you could fix with silicone. I would use bleach water to clean your bilge. It will get bad. will kill the any mold that would ever form. hope this helps.

·
Silverback
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Luredaddy,
Actually it is the livewell, not the intake pump or hose. The bloody water in the bilge demonstrated this. Those darn steelhead...

Yet I did have that happen on a previous boat due to an early season freeze with water in the line.

Buckeyehunter,
I am confident it is the "well" itself. When I stored the boat I put a fair amount of water in the livewell and my garage floor has a nice puddle of water coming from the bilge. I used Simple Green rather than bleach at this point.

I don't think my 2003 is still any warranty aside from the hull though I could research.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If there is a crack in the livewell itself, I'd get a good underwater silicone sealant and paint the area with it.

·
Silverback
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No visible cracks; just seams and rivets. Just had an idea to hit an aquarium store tomorrow for some non-toxic sealant.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Replace hose connectons.I had to do that a few years ago.Cracked and brittle,replaced with stainless..not an easy job.

·
Crappietracker
419 Posts
Sometimes my drains don't work so well and when I leave the livewell on manual (fill all the time) it will overflow and go to the bilge. Scared the crap out of me the first time this happened. telltale signs are slightly wet carpet on one side of the boat. hope this helps

Rob

·
Registered
234 Posts
this happened on my dads boat. on ours there is something like plumbers putty that seals it against the plywood floor above it, my guess would be that the putty has dried out some just like ours did. i put duct tape around it as a quick fix but it hasnt leaked for 2 years and counting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No visible cracks; just seams and rivets. Just had an idea to hit an aquarium store tomorrow for some non-toxic sealant.
Aquarium stores mark up their products too much. Especially "All Glass" brand aquarium sealant. Their probably dryed up slightly too from being way-old.

I'd reccomend "GE Silicone I" it's 100% silicone and available at Wal-Mart cheap and in big or small tubes. And..non-toxic. I've resealed over a dozen aquariums with it.

Don't get "GE Silicone II with Bio-Seal Technology" it's not fish safe. It has mold growth inhibitors. I learned this on this in a fishkeeping/Aquaria forum I belong to.

Be sure to let it set for 3-5days or longer than a week if you put it on thick.

·
Silverback
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The leak is not from overfilling, I know what that looks like, and it is not the hoses. It is specifically the tank as demonstrated with blood tainted water in the bilge with the overflow fitting in.

Thanks EyeEye, that is just what I needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts