close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

live wells

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by KSUFLASH, Apr 6, 2005.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I would like to build a live well for my aluminum boat. I dont want something portable like a cooler, but rather a permanant fixture to the boat. Anyone ever done this before?

flash--------------------------------out

2. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Flash, I want to do the same thing. Hope someone can give us some advice

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

hello, anyone got ideas...

flash-----------------------------out

4. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Need to know what your going to keep alive in it, Bass, crappie, walleye, Catfish?

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Mine will be for bass. Thanks Doc

6. I can try to give you the cliff notes version of how the factory did the one in my boat if you want. I'd Guess that's a bit over-kill for what you're wanting though.

Barry

7. I would be definitely interested in how to do this also. Someone please respond to this question. Thank you much!

Tom

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i am putting one in my boat soon i am not sure how i want to do it ...............i think you can do it 1 of 3 ways cheep to $$$$$$............1 just put a cooler in the boat with a pump in it but you got to keep changing the water..............2 run a live well pump through the hall and run it into the cooler the pump kit will cost more............3 cabellas has liners and hatches and you can cut a hole in the center seat and mount the hatch and run a livewell pump to it i think i might do it the last way and install a timer switch but yhou are looking at around 150-200 bucks.................jim

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...276&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat21276

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

hatches\liners...................

Attached Files:

10. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

pump......................

Attached Files:

11. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

another kind of livewell

Attached Files:

12. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

portable tank.............

Attached Files:

13. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

through hall fittings...............

Attached Files:

14. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

pump timer.............hope that helped :)

Attached Files:

15. Get a large block of beaded foam or construct one out of several pieces. Cut and form it to the shape you want. Fiberglass the exterior, several layers and allow to compleyely cure. Disolve the foam form with a solvent that is suitable. Cut the openings you require then coat the inside and outside with a final coat of resin. Allow to completely cure. Paint the finished product with a suitable paint. Make and mount a spray bar out of poly pro pipe and connect it to the recirc bilge pump with the tuping they sell at boat stores.

By the time you have done all this and invested in all the required components as well as having several trips to La-La Land :D from the solvent fumes, you will have used up a lot of time that could have been spent on the water :T as well as spending more than you could have purchased one for from a boat supply store/catalog. :rolleyes:

Good luck on whatever direction you take. :)

16. how crazy are you looking to get??? We talking recirculating, aireated, lighted, remote drain? I can give you some ideas (I'll try the cliff notes version) on how the one was done from the factory in my boat when I tore it apart over the winter. Seems like making one from scratch could be alot of work, but might be fun.

Basics seem to be you need the tank sized to fit your boat/fish
    Cabelas has something that might work - (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...MainCatcat21276)

Holes would be cut in the side of the tank for a light, aeration, overflow and the fill. One hole in the bottom for the drain. Two holes were cut in the rear (transom) of the boat below the water line for the drain and recirc. pump (thru-hull fittings with some silicone). Another hole was cut in the side of the boat (above the water line ;)) for the thru-hull fitting for the overflow. Connect the 3/4" hose from the recirc. pump to the fill fitting on the livewell. Make sure the hose follows a steady incline with no low areas to the fill. Same with the drain from the fitting on the tank to the other transom fitting except obviously you'd want a steady decline rather than incline. Overflows connectors are tied together by a short piece of hose (1 1/4" or 1/2 hose I believe). Wire up the light/pumps and timer. Securing the beast in your boat is where it gets a little hard. In mine they used sheet aluminum bent (in a kinda box shape) to fit with a sheet metal break. I'd guess there was a 3/4 lip on both the top and bottom also. After being carpeted, the bottom lip was screwed to the floor. A 90 degree bracket was spot welded to the sheet metal (front [bow] side of the box) and riveted through the hull with a solid core rivet. You could bolt or rivet here in place of the spot weld, I did. The tank was then rived down through the top lip (use alum or ss backing washers on the tank side). Add two more pieces of sheet aluminum across the sides of the tank from the top lip to the hull (secure to the hull in whatever way works best for your boat; manufacturer had a piece of angle riveted through the hull) for added area to rivet the tank in. You can almost see these if you look closely at the carpeted edges on the tank top. Poured in flotation foam was then added to provide a base for the tank to sit on when full rather than having it hanging from the rivets alone kind of like putting down a mortar bed for a tub or shower. Secure the lid and add fish lol. It's easy for me to visualize having torn mine apart, hopefully I described it well enough. It was kind of a bear to get all that stuff in the boat all lined up so it ain't never coming out again - While I own the boat anyways.

What I need to find now is some foam insulation to line the lid. I damaged what was on there while stripping the old carpet.

here's a pic when I had it all dryfitted in the basement over the winter. Notice the sides of the box are cut to match the angle of the hull.

Barry

[​IMG]