Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put me in a new 500 gph aerator in saturday. After 24 years my factory one quit. We fished a tournament sunday and my livewell water just got too hot... What do some of yall do to cool the water down? My fish dident look to healthy at weigh in. Im thinkin bout a small foam piece on the lid, to help insulate it. Its a fiberglass lid. The carpet is black. I really dont wanna have ice packs bounceing around in there, and i could use ice...but it melts so fast. I thought of rigging up a cooling system, with a small water cooler (like a mini radiator) and a pump and remotely mounting the ice packs in to a closed loop system. The closed loop tank would contain methyl alcohol. This would cool the water cooler down. It would be cooled by the ice packs, go through a insulated tube, in to the livewell where it would hit the water cooler. Kind of like a intercooler on a turbo car. Any other ideas? Suggestions? Im gonna try and have a system before next year.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I added ice as the day went on. I also carried a towel to wet down in the water and then laid it over the live well lid. Evaporation from the towel helps to cool ant heat from the sun beating down on the carpet.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Never just dump ice into the livewell as its always chlorinated water and can cause bad things to happen tou your fish. Most catfish guys freeze 2 litre bottles and submerge them once your setup and pull them out when running to not beat up the fish also suggest replacing water several times through the day

Salmonid

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
477 Posts
usually the bigger issue with the hot water temps is dissoved oxygen. A system they use in Texas is a small O2 tank hooked up to the areator. This system puts sraight oxygen into the live well instead of the 70/30% Nitrogen to oxygen the air has, my buddy is putting one in his boat after we lost a record setting weight at a tourny (we still won with only 4 fish.) He found the plan for it online somewhere.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have used ice to cool water, but as a previous poster said. If you put ice directly into the water the chlorine in the melting ice can kill the fish unless you use a live well treatment that neutralizes the chlorine. You also have to be careful and not cool the water too much. I've lost fish because I cooled the water too much and then put a fish in the live well later in the day and the shock of the colder water killed them. If you're constantly bringing in fresh water from the lake that doesn't present as much of a problem, but if you are recirculating the water in the live well, or are using an Pro Air system (that's what I have on my boat) or an Oxygenator, the water in the live well can get too cold from adding ice, or from floating frozen bottles of ice in the water.

I'm curious if you use a live well water treatment like Catch and Release? When do you fill your live well? How often do you run your aerator? And can you just recirculate the water in the live well?

I'll share what I do, I have never lost a fish other than the ones I talked about earlier where I over cooled the water in the live well. I don't ice the water anymore. The first thing I do when I get to the blast off area in the morning is sprinkle in Catch and Release and fill the live well while waiting to blast off. That way I get the coolest water I can in it, and I don't add any more water throughout the day. It may add more weight to the boat, but it means that I don't have a fresh fish flopping around in the bottom of a dry live well, as it's filling. Plus as I said.... I already have the coolest water of the day from filling it first thing in the morning.

Again as said earlier, I have a Pro Air system that I turn on immediately, and let it run until I hear my number called for blast off. That way I have the max amount of dissolved oxygen in the water that I can. As soon as the first fish of the day is put in the box, I turn on the Pro Air system and I don't turn it off until I am taking the fish out of the live well at the end of the day. I've never lost a fish doing it that way. Actually I've only lost 5 fish in over 25 years of tournament fishing ....... 4 of those fish were because I over cooled the water in the live well. 3 of the 4 died when put back in the lake after weigh in, the other died within 10 minutes of putting it in the live well.

I contribute it to three things. Always using Catch and Release .....always filling the live well the first thing in the morning, and to keeping the Pro Air system on the boat, constantly running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I never fill my well until I catch a fish. I put 1 two liter frozen bottle in it in the morning to keep the well cool. Then once I add the water ( if I catch a fish) I run the pump to circulate water for about 10 minutes. Then I add "please release me" that stuff is amazing. I think fish live better in my live well than In the lake, because of that stuff. And like mentioned before, if that sun is out and real hot, ill wet a towel and lay it over the lid. And I have never had a fish die on me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
477 Posts
http://www.tackleandrods.com/
Go to this site and hit the oxygen system link for a do it yourself O2 system.
Forgot to mention when we lost that fish it was a 100 degree day with surface temps in the 90's and 22 lbs of bass in the well, which is crazy in northern ohio in summer. That was the first and only fish we ever had die in 8 years of tourny fishing, and that will never happen again.

·
Resident fishing idiot
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a cool system but i cant read the site or prices? My livewells fill automaticly at launch.when i run they drain. Unless i close them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry I forgot to add that I brought ice from home and I have a well so I didn't have to worry about the chlorine issue. While away at tournaments I just brought sandwich bags to put store bought ice in. Never had to worry about damaging fish while running around the lake with a plastic bag and ice.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts