Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing with live chubs is it better to fish them with a bobber on a pond or can I take these things out onto the LMR or the OR and let it bottom fish? I have dozens now that seem to be doing well and I would love to see what they can catch me.

Jake

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
We used to do awesome on the Ohio River with chubs. I used to have a hole in a creek where I would get them on hook and line. I have caught some really nice hybrids, cats, and smallies on 5"+ live chubs. In the fall they are awesome for bigger walleye too. I am a big fan of big baits for big fish. I would give them a try for sure.

Jake

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I caught a couple more chubs last night, Now I think im around 25-30 chubs all between 4-10inches. They are doing great in the tank now. My minnows are the only thing dying off. I have tons of BUBBLES for em so I hope they can keep it going until friday or saturday when I try them out on the ohio.

Jake

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
They should keep fine. The only thing I would do is put a little bit of bread in there for food. Just take a piece and ball up little bits and throw them in there. Thats what I used to do to keep my bait for long periods.

Jake

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
live chubs, curled on like a night crawler is good to. i like warmouths to. i fish the big o a lot. good luck this week end. i,m going to try to be down there friday night.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might try and get out tonight and catch some Gills for bait. My father in law has a huge bait tank he bought awhile back and he doesn't use it anymore. Now I need another pump and some PVC anyone have suggestions on what pump to get?

·
Banned
297 Posts
Bass Pro Shop sells a great little gaget made from a 500 GPM bilge pump to drop in a cooler etc. . I think I paid like 20 bucks for mine. Used it for about 4 years now and it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts