Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floated Lake Isabella to Milford....got a late start 11 am..... fished till 5. Water was a good flow and cleaner than last week....maybe 18 inch visibilty. Cranks and spinnerbaits again worked on rocks in current. I am still surprised how many channels we are catching....man do they fight. Our smallmouth numbers were not as good as last week but still had respectable numbers. Nothing over 15 inches however. Son also had one saugeye/sauger and hooked a gar that thank goodness shook the hook at the boat. The best part of the day was that we never saw another canoe till we were ready to pull off in Milford.......the cabrewers are gone on the weekdays.

Hey Warehouse check your pm.....sorry it took me so long to respond.

Rich

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
I'm glad you are having luck, Richman! I took yet a different friend out with me Saturday but we only caught 2 fish. We didn't move fast in my raft, but it sure was a blast to fish out of when we got to good spots. We parked at Isabella and had hoped to reach our car in Milford. Just like last time though, we lost track of time and ended up just passing Kelley Preserve when it got dark! Not good. I don't mind paddling in the dark, it's actually pretty cool, but we ran into a major problem when I made the mistake of letting my friend row us through some rapids a 1/2 mile past the 126 bridge.

Apparently I have 3 friends who have the coordination of blind rabbits, and this one put us right into the middle of some really nasty rocks. I should have known I was in trouble when I asked him "What is your line?" and he said "huh?" Anyways, while I was looking downstream for an exit strategy, he decided to bounce up and down real fast to try and free us from the rocks rather than get out. I barked at him to stop before he punctured the boat and we got out and pulled the raft free. What we didn't know is that one of the rocks made a small cut in the raft and we slowly losing air in one of the chambers! We found out a mile later and I made an executive decision to wade back upstream to the 126 bridge and call a cab rather than risk getting to our car in Milford. We might have made it, but it wasn't worth the risk with such a novice friend.

Needless to say, we didn't get much fishing in. My friends are new to fishing and apparently aren't very good at rowing either! In case you missed my last post, my first rafting trip ended up in the Ohio River, lol. My second one ended up with a friend that could only row in circles, and this last one ended up with a hole in a pretty rugged raft. The LMR is kicking my butt!

I sent you a reply with details of our trip. Thank you for the tips. I felt like when we actually got to fish, we were doing everything right. I put us on some good rocks and riffles and we threw white spinners on a cloudy day. I just need one more solid afternoon on the LMR without having to play camp counselor and I think I'm on the verge of piecing it all together. Hopefully I can fix my raft :)

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Yea, I think you fellas are right. I think it was wishful thinking that the raft would get my friends interested in fishing. It's making me want to drown them instead! I probably needed to buy a used navy seal RIB instead, lol.

Any of you guys sporting one of those Bass Pro Shop "Ascend" brand kayaks? They seem affordable and possibly a good match for a beginner.

-House

1 - 5 of 5 Posts